Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell which version of fico an autolender is looking at

tag
bluedog357
New Contributor

How to tell which version of fico an autolender is looking at

So, I am working on fixing my credit to prepare to buy a house in the near future...but my 20 year old beater is on its last leg and I need a more diverse credit profile (long story short, all credit cards but one are being paid off in a program that closes the cards as they are paid off), so i figures Id use a small car loan to diversify my credit profile and help my credit score impove by showing good payments. I swung by a credit union and asked them which Fico score(8, or the auto fico scores) and all they knew was they use Experian (the person I spoke to wasnt aware of different fico versions). MyFico app shows My Experian fico 8 is 616, my Experian auto score is a little over 650, and the mortgage version is lower than fico8. How do I find out which version of Fico that an autolender looks at?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to tell which version of fico an autolender is looking at

@bluedog357 wrote:

So, I am working on fixing my credit to prepare to buy a house in the near future...but my 20 year old beater is on its last leg and I need a more diverse credit profile (long story short, all credit cards but one are being paid off in a program that closes the cards as they are paid off), so i figures Id use a small car loan to diversify my credit profile and help my credit score impove by showing good payments. I swung by a credit union and asked them which Fico score(8, or the auto fico scores) and all they knew was they use Experian (the person I spoke to wasnt aware of different fico versions). MyFico app shows My Experian fico 8 is 616, my Experian auto score is a little over 650, and the mortgage version is lower than fico8. How do I find out which version of Fico that an autolender looks at?

IMO, it is really hard to tell unless you ask them straight up.  Many use different types and it may depend on the state you live in or the manufacturer.  And sometimes if you call a bank or CU, the rep doesn't even know (my experience with USAA).  And some manufacturers may pull all 3 (Auto) scores and use the middle score or they may choose to use the highest of the 3 (my experience with BMW).  I even heard of one manufacturer (I forgot which one) used a mortgage score, so it is all a crap shoot.  What really sucks is if you have a fluctuation of auto scores with different bureaus/versions, some dealers will end up pulling the lowest of them all!  That has happened to me on one occasion.  The entire system is all a crapshoot.

Message 2 of 3
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: How to tell which version of fico an autolender is looking at

LFS pulled all 3 of my fico 8 and used the highest score. Chase pulled EX and EQ. IfI remember correctly, and they used the highest from EX 8, 3, and 2.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.