Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am livid!!!!!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: I am livid!!!!!

@nycsimone wrote:

If you take the 0% financing and put all that money in a high-yield savings account that pays 1.25% (you can make much more by investing your money in other ventures btw) after the 72 months you'd have $1,520 left in your bank account and you accomplished the same exact thing.

I tried to tell him the same thing, but I don't think he understands our point. If he had invested his cash in Tesla stock rather than a depreciating car, he would have been able to cover his 0% APR car payments from his investment gains with money left over!

Message 31 of 63
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@nycsimone wrote:

If you choose 0% financing there's no markup...that's why it's 0% financing. In this case the dealership is paid a flat fee for the financing (many banks are moving to this anyways).

If you were offered 0% financing on a $40,000 vehicle and paid cash rather than just make payments you could lose out in thousands in interest. A standard loan is 72 months nowadays. So you can pay the $40,000 cash or take 0% interest financing. 

If you take the 0% financing and put all that money in a high-yield savings account that pays 1.25% (you can make much more by investing your money in other ventures btw) after the 72 months you'd have $1,520 left in your bank account and you accomplished the same exact thing.

Seventy-two months to pay off a car gives me the willies. In my world that person bought too much car. That is for me only not other buyers. I was only willing to go ten years on a home mortgage. In the high yield saving account example $1520.00 i just not worth it to me as trade off for endless car payments. 

I am an investor. Market has some interesting swings. I'm a long hauler so it works well for me. I would not like to be forced to sell on the downswing to make a car payment. 

GM was offering 0% and the rebate when I bought my daily. The dealer marked it up on the paperwork the salesman showed me. I didn't put a pencil to it but it looked like about 3%. 

If I am ever in a situation that requires me to finance a car it would be basic transpo. No frills just getting from point a to point b. Preferably I could find a private sale with complete service records. My indy would do a thorough PPI. If he was ok with the car I would move forward. 

When I posted that I don't see the issue that was in reference to a cash buyer from time to time. It's still a sale and adds to the sales count for compensation. A buyer scooping up everything presented in the F&I office is more pofitable but a little bit is better than nada. 

Some of us are just incorrigible. Smiley Happy

Message 32 of 63
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@ridgebackpilot , you got my attention for a moment when I read depreciating asset. If financial prudence was my primary concern I would never consider a new car. I probably blew through 10k while doing the title work. The downside I see in a cash purchase is no GAP coverage. If someone hit me as I drove out of the dealership that would be a considerable loss in a few minutes. I'd roll the dice anyway but it does give pause.

Message 33 of 63
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@nycsimone wrote:

If you choose 0% financing there's no markup...that's why it's 0% financing. In this case the dealership is paid a flat fee for the financing (many banks are moving to this anyways).

If you were offered 0% financing on a $40,000 vehicle and paid cash rather than just make payments you could lose out in thousands in interest. A standard loan is 72 months nowadays. So you can pay the $40,000 cash or take 0% interest financing. 

Seventy-two months to pay off a car gives me the willies. In my world that person bought too much car. That is for me only not other buyers. I was only willing to go ten years on a home mortgage. In the high yield saving account example $1520.00 i just not worth it to me as trade off for endless car payments. 

I am an investor. Market has some interesting swings. I'm a long hauler so it works well for me. I would not like to be forced to sell on the downswing to make a car payment. 

GM was offering 0% and the rebate when I bought my daily. The dealer marked it up on the paperwork the salesman showed me. I didn't put a pencil to it but it looked like about 3%. 

If I am ever in a situation that requires me to finance a car it would be basic transpo. No frills just getting from point a to point b. Preferably I could find a private sale with complete service records. My indy would do a thorough PPI. If he was ok with the car I would move forward. 

When I posted that I don't see the issue that was in reference to a cash buyer from time to time. It's still a sale and adds to the sales count for compensation. A buyer scooping up everything presented in the F&I office is more pofitable but a little bit is better than nada. 

Some of us are just incorrigible. Smiley Happy

1. How does 72 months to pay off a car give you the willies? You can literally put all that money in an account, set up auto pay...and forget all about it. This just makes no sense.

2. 0% finance is a captive inventive from the financial arm of the car manufacturer...it's NOT marked up. Even if it were somehow possible to mark it up the limit is 2.5%. 3% is just not possible. But again, if you select the 0% financing...then it's 0%. It doesn't get any simpler then that.

Message 34 of 63
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

I simply do not want to be bothered with endless payments. It's my decision. 

This conversation is an example of why many people do not enjoy visiting dealerships. Seems some salespersons learn what the customer wants then work tirelessly to push the opposite.  

I avoid dealership service with the exception of recalls and warranty work. Same deal. There is an issue or I would not present. When I pickup the car I am presented with a sixteen page printout of customer states, customer states, no codes, no codes, cannot duplicate blah, blah, blah.  The issue is not resolved. It's tedious.  Oh, and the car is dropped off with correct psi and returned with underinflated tires. I went back and was told "they thought". Don't think. Just look at the sticker in the doorjam.

I am the person who is happy when the warranty expires. My indy refers to the dealer for warranty issues. The last warranty item was failure of the windshield auto defrost. Best excuse ever. You never had that feature on your car.  I emailed a screenie of the page from the owners manual describing the feature. Still took six months for the service department to relent. It was a sensor. 

The first two winters there was no heat on the driver's side. I froze in that car. Excuse was that a tech had a probe in vents on each side. Temps were 3' disparate. WIthin spec. Balderdash!! I would never notice three degrees in winter clothing and outerwear. Year two the assistant service manager told them to recalibate the doors. That's all it was. Two winters in a cold car before they let the heat flow.

And please don't tell me to go to another dealer. This is the good dealer in a reasonable driving distance. The dealer principal is onsite and available to resolve issues. I did all communications via email in case I needed a paper trail. I wanted to give the service department an opportunity to correct issues. Fortunately it was not necessary to go to the dealer principal. 

I laugh when someone asks why I didn't go for the free oil changes. It oil and a filter done correctly the first time by my indy. They are not trying to beat the book. They do it right. 

Message 35 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nycsimone wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nycsimone wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're getting financing from a dealer, it's not a good deal. LOVED my experience with PenFed and they gave me the advertised rate when my score was mid-600's. Please give them a try. 

Ignorance.

What is your issue?  Everything you've said in this thread has amounted to stepping over a dime to pick up a penny. I know you worked at a dealership for a day or two, but some of us have, most likely, been buying cars since you were in diapers. 

Conflicting opinions aren't ignorance, my friend. 

It's not a matter of opinion. It's math.

If a dealership can get you the same terms as what you've been approved for with your outside financing and if you go thru the dealership they're willing to discount the vehicle a little more then why not do dealer financing? The only one leaving money on the table is the person too ignorant to understand how the process works and too stubborn to listen to those that have been on the inside and know how it all works.

We literally have people on this forum, a CREDIT forum, who so easily believe that the DEALERSHIP offers the best financing? The same dealerships at which you don't have any right to transparency in how much they're padding the rates they're quoting you? You just see "their" number... 

Manufacturers are ending 0% for 84 months. Credit unions are competitive again for well-qualified buyers, and have ALWAYS been the better bet for mid-high 600's. Doubly so for used vehicles. (Mod cut-Approaching flaming and is definitely non FSR-Not here please)

Message 36 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

The last time I bought a car (the kid bugging me to buy a black car) the manufacturer was offering 0% financing. The kid brought a demo to the house for a test drive. We stopped along the way at Panera to look over his paperwork for the deal we struck on the phone. Of course he had financing info for the 0%. The numbers did not compute. I don't think they realize we can do math in our heads. Smiley Wink 

On the drive back he started with the nitrogen fill for tires and other nonsense. If I wanted a bunch of  useless nonsense I would have tuned into QVC. It was a cash deal, no foolishness just doc fees. I don't have any reason to make an opera of a car purchase. It's a personal preference not a standard for others. 

Just imagine: If you had taken their 0% financing deal and invested your cash in Tesla stock instead of a depreciating car, you'd have earned enough to be able to buy three or four cars by now! This principle is known as the "cost of capital" and it's a very real phenomenon.

Or Tesla could have done nothing. Maybe Apple won't skyrocket after the upcoming split. You never know. 

Message 37 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nycsimone wrote:

If you take 0% financing, expect the dealer to treat you like CarMax and not wiggle much, if at all, on the purchase price unless, as stated above, they're getting an incentive on the backend for closing the loan. Negotiate the vehicle price, then say you want the financing. 

Message 38 of 63
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nycsimone wrote:

If you take 0% financing, expect the dealer to treat you like CarMax and not wiggle much, if at all, on the purchase price unless, as stated above, they're getting an incentive on the backend for closing the loan. Negotiate the vehicle price, then say you want the financing. 

A dealership always gets an incentive for financing in-house...even when it's the manufacturer 0%. It actually has no impact on how much "wiggle" the dealership will discount the car. Things like market environment and dealership stock is what determines how much you're able to negotiate off a car. The 0% interest from the bank has almost nothing to do with it.

Message 39 of 63
nycsimone
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We literally have people on this forum, a CREDIT forum, who so easily believe that the DEALERSHIP offers the best financing? The same dealerships at which you don't have any right to transparency in how much they're padding the rates they're quoting you? You just see "their" number... 

Manufacturers are ending 0% for 84 months. Credit unions are competitive again for well-qualified buyers, and have ALWAYS been the better bet for mid-high 600's. Doubly so for used vehicles. (Mod cut-Approaching flaming and is definitely non FSR-Not here please)

Dealerships just submit your info to verious financial institutions. If you get preapproved with your own bank (or credit union) and show them the rate you got they'll be able to match it (or beat it) 90% of the time. They most likely have a relationship established with local credit unions or banks that have a rate match program. So in most cases you're not going to lose out on the "rate".

What you also fail to take into consideration is the ability to get a better purchase price on a vehicle by financing thru the dealership. If the dealer is getting $1,000 from the bank for sending them your financing and they pass on $500 of that $1,000 to you then aren't you better off that way?

People that think "cash is king" or that "you're always better off getting your own financing" simply don't understand how the business works. Plain and simple. It's a package deal for the daelership and by limiting your options you're stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Message 40 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.