Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can help, I manage a car dealership.

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: I Can Help, I Run A Car Dealership.

What's an "Offer you can't refuse" price on a new Jetta with manual transmission? II'd love one of the diesel ones but have heard they're a lot more.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

So basically if I want to pay cash for a car, work with my dealership and let them know up front before they give me a quote. My dealership of choice deals in ford, Lincoln, mercury, and Volvo. My next vehicle will likely be a Volvo or ford small to mid size sedan/ gently used...

Are upscale dealerships more experienced with dealing with cash customers? I'd also be interested in other cars like Mercedes and BMW, and if I decided to go that way, then I can get my salesman of choice to hook me up with a lease return or a 2 yr old trade in or something like that...

In the used arena do most dealerships have the ability to get you what you want if you give them like a 6 month window before you are ready to purchase?

Background:  I've used this dealership for service back when I drove a vehicle owned by the company. My salesman of choice is a retired American Airlines worker, he calls me every year on my car's anniversary LOL  I've bought both a car and a truck from him over the last 3 yrs and I feel as though I was treated fairly with financing, and they didn't play a lot of the games I had experienced in the past with car shopping.

I wouldn't say the level of vehicle would change the dealers experience with cash buyers.  You have to remember, most dealerships sell thousands of vehicles each year.   Giving the dealer time to come up with the right car isnt a bad idea.  Thats a good salesman by the way.  Hard to find a salesman that stays with you these days.  Dont get too comfortable though.  Do your research each time you're ready to buy.

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 22 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:
What's an "Offer you can't refuse" price on a new Jetta with manual transmission? II'd love one of the diesel ones but have heard they're a lot more.

Which trim level?

S, SE, SE Convenience, SE Convenience Sunroof or SEL?

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Message 23 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I will definately narrow it down and go in with an educated guess on each of the cars that I like...  I make it a point to never sign the paperwork and actually buy the car on the same day that I test drive...  I like to go home and think about it and do additional research.  Ya my car salesman is very cool for an old dude...  He asks about my daughter everytime. We picked out the first car together cause I told her she needed to like whatever we picked out, cause it would be what she is driving when she turns 16. She's 11 now, and I've had the car for 3 yrs, so it'll be about a 7 or 8 yr old Volvo by the time she is driving...

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 24 of 897
currentlywinning
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys...WISH ME LUCK! I hope to be in there by Wednesday....

Is it true we get the best deals in the middle of the week and ends of the month?

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
Message 25 of 897
UpNComing
Established Contributor

@currentlywinning wrote:

Thanks guys...WISH ME LUCK! I hope to be in there by Wednesday....

Is it true we get the best deals in the middle of the week and ends of the month?

End of the day/month.  You can PM me the info on your deal and I'll give you any pointers you'll need.  Good luck! Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 897
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@UpNComing wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

So basically if I want to pay cash for a car, work with my dealership and let them know up front before they give me a quote. My dealership of choice deals in ford, Lincoln, mercury, and Volvo. My next vehicle will likely be a Volvo or ford small to mid size sedan/ gently used...

Are upscale dealerships more experienced with dealing with cash customers? I'd also be interested in other cars like Mercedes and BMW, and if I decided to go that way, then I can get my salesman of choice to hook me up with a lease return or a 2 yr old trade in or something like that...

In the used arena do most dealerships have the ability to get you what you want if you give them like a 6 month window before you are ready to purchase?

Background:  I've used this dealership for service back when I drove a vehicle owned by the company. My salesman of choice is a retired American Airlines worker, he calls me every year on my car's anniversary LOL  I've bought both a car and a truck from him over the last 3 yrs and I feel as though I was treated fairly with financing, and they didn't play a lot of the games I had experienced in the past with car shopping.

I wouldn't say the level of vehicle would change the dealers experience with cash buyers.  You have to remember, most dealerships sell thousands of vehicles each year.   Giving the dealer time to come up with the right car isnt a bad idea.  Thats a good salesman by the way.  Hard to find a salesman that stays with you these days.  Dont get too comfortable though.  Do your research each time you're ready to buy.

Sometimes it does depending where you live.  A friend of a friend has the same position as you in a Mercedes dealership out here (Los Angeles, in one of the upscale neighborhoods), and they have various B-D list celeberties coming through all the time throwing cash at vehicles... the same can't be said for the random Honda dealership in the suburbs.

Webhopper: I'm going to catch some flak for this one, but also consider financing the car, and then writing the check to the lender and you may be out less money.  That said, relationship building with a dealer is a two-way street, there are certain expectations you're going to have to meet to keep your end of the bargain and this might not be it.

That said if I were you, think I'd absolutely finance the vehicle depending on the rate you're getting vs. what cash / financing requirements you have to continue pushing your real-estate investing forward if you're still planning on continuing to building your portfolio there.  Rates are ridiculously low now and may not be again for decades depending which way the economy goes.

Actually, if I were you again, if I didn't have an immediate investment opportunity, I think I'd take it one step further knowing what I do now: get the financing, and just make way more than the minimum payments if the lender counts them towards future payments.  Knock the principal down quickly and let the tradeline idle, getting most of the FICO benefits to having a mid-term seasoned tradeline, and also not costing much out of pocket in interest charges.  YMMV by lender but most simple-interest installment loans I'm seeing seem to do this by default.

Depending what my income is come April 1st, I may just keep the 19.35% Wells Fargo DS loan that I have, and just continue throwing my free cash flow towards crushing the balance as I could pay it off in under a year if I so chose at my current rate, and then just do what I suggested in the preceding paragraph without going through the hassle of re-financing games in my case.

        
Message 27 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@UpNComing wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Sometimes it does depending where you live.  A friend of a friend has the same position as you in a Mercedes dealership out here (Los Angeles, in one of the upscale neighborhoods), and they have various B-D list celeberties coming through all the time throwing cash at vehicles... the same can't be said for the random Honda dealership in the suburbs.

Webhopper: I'm going to catch some flak for this one, but also consider financing the car, and then writing the check to the lender and you may be out less money.  That said, relationship building with a dealer is a two-way street, there are certain expectations you're going to have to meet to keep your end of the bargain and this might not be it.

That said if I were you, think I'd absolutely finance the vehicle depending on the rate you're getting vs. what cash / financing requirements you have to continue pushing your real-estate investing forward if you're still planning on continuing to building your portfolio there.  Rates are ridiculously low now and may not be again for decades depending which way the economy goes.

Actually, if I were you again, if I didn't have an immediate investment opportunity, I think I'd take it one step further knowing what I do now: get the financing, and just make way more than the minimum payments if the lender counts them towards future payments.  Knock the principal down quickly and let the tradeline idle, getting most of the FICO benefits to having a mid-term seasoned tradeline, and also not costing much out of pocket in interest charges.  YMMV by lender but most simple-interest installment loans I'm seeing seem to do this by default.

Depending what my income is come April 1st, I may just keep the 19.35% Wells Fargo DS loan that I have, and just continue throwing my free cash flow towards crushing the balance as I could pay it off in under a year if I so chose at my current rate, and then just do what I suggested in the preceding paragraph without going through the hassle of re-financing games in my case.

I'm not sure I would benefit much from aging out a new installment tradeline, as my AAoA is 6 yrs 9 months, but definately I'll work with my dealership. The car I would be looking at buying for cash is a 1-2 yr old sedan with less than 30k miles.  Looking towards the future, I can see myself picking up another rental house in the town that my daughter chooses for college, that way she can actually live there and it will be cheaper for me in the long run, especially if she does some sort of post graduate work. May end up title in her name or in our companies' name since she's listed as the beneficiary of the business.  As I've gotten older, I look at vehicles more as a disposable type of item, more like a TV or a fridge.. Sure a nice 3D projection TV is nice but the differences between a 6k TV and a $1500 are fairly minor, and the differences between a 1 yr old 47'' TV bought for 1/2 price on Craigslist cause some guy needs quick cash and a brand new 47'' TV bought at Best Buy are fairly minor....

FICO 9:

Message 28 of 897
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

True that.

As for the house for your daughter's college days: it's not common that post-graduate work is done at the same institution as undergrad... it's actually pretty rare for a few reasons in academia if she's not doing a special program: combined accounting / MBA, fast track MS in Engineering, research MD tracks among others.

While it probably still makes sense, I wouldn't calculate it for more than 4-5 years for your daughter living there necessarily... though that's likely still a large win if you're eventually going to use it as rental property later, and you're otherwise spending cash for room and board otherwise: I highly recommend sending any and all children away to school, but that's from my personal experiences and may not match up with all children.

        
Message 29 of 897
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

True that.

As for the house for your daughter's college days: it's not common that post-graduate work is done at the same institution as undergrad... it's actually pretty rare for a few reasons in academia if she's not doing a special program: combined accounting / MBA, fast track MS in Engineering, research MD tracks among others.

While it probably still makes sense, I wouldn't calculate it for more than 4-5 years for your daughter living there necessarily... though that's likely still a large win if you're eventually going to use it as rental property later, and you're otherwise spending cash for room and board otherwise: I highly recommend sending any and all children away to school, but that's from my personal experiences and may not match up with all children.

I'm looking at it more for like a "change your family tree" sort of thing.   I only have one child, however, my brother has 6 kids... ranging from age 13 to age 5.  The twins would be starting college around the same time that my daughter is finishing. While the kids will definately qualify for federal grants, I'd like to be able to help with some of their expenses, mainly by having a place for them to stay while in college.  We are all from Louisiana, and my daughter can go to my alma mater university with in-state tuition since I am an alumni. My brother's kids would be in-state as well, and would qualify for grants since my brother doesn't make a lot, and definately doesn't save anything. I wouldn't be comfortable giving the kids cash to help, but I would be happy to have a place for them to stay with a very minimal rent... I'm thinking like $100 or $50 bucks a month type of thing.  They live in a 3 bedroom house now....  3 bedrooms for 8 people.... kind of tight living space. I'd be looking to pick up like a 2-3 bedroom rent house with 1-2 bathrooms.   After the kids were out of school it would either be sold, or I'd manage it as rental property.   My youngest sister is 25 and she graduated from this same university, so when she gets married and has kids, maybe hers would need a place to stay as well... who knows!

I can see that if I don't do something to help these kids, my family tree will split and there will be the educated / wealthy side, and there will be the side that is on food stamps and living on welfare.  

FICO 9:

Message 30 of 897
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.