cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand why dealers lie to us.

tag
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I don't understand why dealers lie to us.

I test drove a car yesterday at the BMW dealership, but was interested in a few they had on their lot, so I discussed pulling my credit. I asked them if we can ask to only pull transunion. He said we can ask them to pull whatever we want. He had been in finance and seemed very knowledgeable.

So, sure enough, all three were pulled. I don't understand. I felt comfortable with him and believed he would follow through and only pull transunion. He said it with confidence, so I didn't worry. I guess it doesn't matter, but now I don't feel comfortable going forward with the deal. I've been texting him and he said he wouldn't have gone through with the app had he only been able to pull TU. I don't understand. I hate car buying!! I'm so irritated. Time for some wine.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Re: I don't understand why dealers lie to us.

On top of that, I asked them only to send to BMW financial yet they had credco pull my credit. I didn't agree to this. Do I have just reason to dispute the inquiries?

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they told the truth, they will never make any money you know.... Lets face it, he was not completely honest with you.  Since you already have your credit pulled, may as well read the fine print word for word and buy the car.  

Going to another dealership = more hard pulls..

Message 3 of 21
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I left before applying in person. We did the app over the phone today. I talked about credit more than the car. He knew how I felt and I made it very clear. I think he was tiring of hearing it, but I wanted there to be no confusion. So irritating. I told him my thoughts and how I had planned to pay down my balances next week, but wasn't sure how much it would change my score. I knew that I would be within the 14 day mark if I needed to app again. I feel betrayed. If they're willing to lie so early within the process...

Message 4 of 21
MarvBear
Established Member

First American credco is a major supplier of bureaus for both the automotive industry and the mortgage industry 

Message 5 of 21
flan
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they told the truth, they will never make any money you know.... Lets face it, he was not completely honest with you.  Since you already have your credit pulled, may as well read the fine print word for word and buy the car.  

Buying from the liar rewards him for lying.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@flan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Buying from the liar rewards him for lying.

I know.. But the other dealerships are no different you know.. 

Message 7 of 21
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree that many sales reps and F&I guys lie in the dealerships. That doesn't mean they all lie. It does mean that you have to take whatever they say with a grain of salt and not allow them the opportunity to run your credit. If you only want one CRA run, then you protect yourself and your credit by freezing the other CRAs before you start to shop.

Or better yet, get your approval from anywhere else and never let them run your credit even if they claim they can beat the interest rate, because that too is most likely a lie.

Buying from the guy that outright lied to you so boldly is rewarding him for lying. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but each of us makes our own decision to award the sale as we see fit.

OP, I am not blaming you. When shopping it is easy to fall for the assurances of the dealership rep because he is telling you what you (and I) want to hear. Note also that most of the sales reps believe what they are saying at the time they are saying it - so it makes it tough to spot the lie(s) in your conversation with these dealership reps.

If you want to see what they actually think of us as consumers, just search youtube for videos on auto sales training. It's a real eye-opener. Needless to say they think most of us are outright stupid and they train their sales reps and F&I people to take advantage of it. It will cure you of any idea that the rep or the F&I department is truthful. Remember, their only accountability is to the volume of deals they do - and they don't care how they get there or what they have to say to make a sale. Not all of them, but certainly a vast majority IMO.

The vehicle dealerships will never change unless the consumers refuse to be treated badly. Sorry, off soap box.

Message 8 of 21
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yep when I go car shopping now I go in with them all froozen..  I say pick one that you want me to unfroozen, it worked for me..  Before I knew better I have had tons of pulls a day on each bureau rate shopping me.  It really depends on the dealership to be honest and if they value their reputation and wanting future business from you whether they lie to you and shotgun your app out for their benefit.  Anyways, live and learn

Message 9 of 21
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Sometimes dealers lie their way right out of a sale.

The first Dodge dealership told me I had to put $7k down to close the deal on my Challenger... yep... I had to.  The lender(s) wouldn't budge.

So I left and drove 20 miles south to the next dealership and got the exact same car (only difference was color) for $0 down... which is what I wanted.  I wasn't interested in putting $5k down to save $60 a month on a payment... I just went with loan/lease payoff (GAP) with Progressive for $17 a month.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.