cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really need a new car. How is my credit profile?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I really need a new car. How is my credit profile?

What car are you currently driving?

What brands are you open to considering?

Message 21 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

@Kevin5974 wrote:
This is a repo in 4 to 6 months. Sad. But we have heard this story before. As an FnI Mgr, I laugh at people financing cars for 5, 6 or even 7 years but decline the warranty. Most common reason for repo is the car broke down.

No offense but this is where this one is going. If you were smart, you'd sell this vehicle that "doesn't fit your dog" and get your cosigner out from this mess. Lease a Kia or cheap car for a bit. You obviously aren't in control if you're in this terrible situation.

The car does have an extended warranty. The extended warranty is a joke though. They won't cover the timing chain until it snaps. At that point, the car would be a total loss. Mercedes-Benz says a new OM642 is $21k, down from $36k a year or two ago. We were never able to find coverage for the emissions system because it is a diesel. Mercedes-Benz warrantied the emissions until 80k miles, but the AdBlue problems started a few thousand after that. Smiley Mad

My father does not care (my co-borrower). He thinks it should be fixed, but I told him that I am not paying another $300 for another diagnostic that will say the same darn thing—minimum $10k+ in repairs. He will sign off on a trade-in, but it's going to be so annoying when he starts mouthing off about whatever lease agreement I sign (He's very opposed to leasing as he's gotten older). Smiley Frustrated

The car is not going to be repossessed. I am not broke.

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 22 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I am probably going to try to go with the Land Rover Discovery if the residuals continue to be this high. I am also looking at the Volvo XC90, Land Rover Range Rover Velar, and I was thinking about the Mercedes-AMG GLC43, but I think it might be a tad too small. I have had a GLC300 loaner before, and I think I thought it was too small for my dog who is 143lbs. The MSRP discounts on XC90s are hefty and they make up for the lower residual. I looked at a late model GL550 last winter, but I thought the prices were too high and I did not want to put $20k down and then have it fall apart. We also already have an older GL450 anyway, but someone else uses it most of the time.

All of those cars use too much fuel. I am used to getting 25 miles per gallon and going almost 600 miles per tank. That little engine also produces 400 ft-lb of torque. The other Mercedes sedan that I have only gets 13 miles per gallon and it's annoying. It is very fast with a 5.0L V8, but that's way too inefficient.

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 23 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 24 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

@SoundoftheSuburbs wrote:

My utilization is about 70%, but it is about 82% in my most recent report.

My UTIL is down to 53% right now.

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 25 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what you paid for a 6 year old car with features, you could have bought a new Toyota Camry. You could have paid a whole lot less for a 2 year old Camry that would run for 10 years +, and only need oil, a starter and some tires. But you needed those features. Gtfoh.
Message 26 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I am probably going to try to go with the Land Rover Discovery if the residuals continue to be this high. I am also looking at the Volvo XC90, Land Rover Range Rover Velar, and I was thinking about the Mercedes-AMG GLC43, but I think it might be a tad too small. I have had a GLC300 loaner before, and I think I thought it was too small for my dog who is 143lbs. The MSRP discounts on XC90s are hefty and they make up for the lower residual. I looked at a late model GL550 last winter, but I thought the prices were too high and I did not want to put $20k down and then have it fall apart. We also already have an older GL450 anyway, but someone else uses it most of the time.

All of those cars use too much fuel. I am used to getting 25 miles per gallon and going almost 600 miles per tank. That little engine also produces 400 ft-lb of torque. The other Mercedes sedan that I have only gets 13 miles per gallon and it's annoying. It is very fast with a 5.0L V8, but that's way too inefficient.

You should probably grab the XC90 - the other ones you've listed have a laundry list of issues (especially with the Velar, it's a first generation SUV, gonna be lots of downtime for dumb things)

If you have a large pet, I'd implore you to consider Subaru as well. The forester and Outback are pretty good for what they are, only trade off would be your dog would be getting the luxury treatment instead of you, ha.

Message 27 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For what you paid for a 6 year old car with features, you could have bought a new Toyota Camry. You could have paid a whole lot less for a 2 year old Camry that would run for 10 years +, and only need oil, a starter and some tires. But you needed those features. Gtfoh.

I'm not sure what I would do with a Camry, but I appreciate your input...

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 28 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You should probably grab the XC90 - the other ones you've listed have a laundry list of issues (especially with the Velar, it's a first generation SUV, gonna be lots of downtime for dumb things)

If you have a large pet, I'd implore you to consider Subaru as well. The forester and Outback are pretty good for what they are, only trade off would be your dog would be getting the luxury treatment instead of you, ha.

The tech in the Velar seems to be a little troublesome. I can't remember what it was, but I was on one test drive and something went wrong. It could have been the salesman doing something wrong, but Doug Demuro had a problem with it in his video review.

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 29 of 39
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

I went to Carmax today and got it appraised for $7500. That's $2000 less than the appraisal from a few months ago. It's also significantly lower than the NADA rough trade-in. Rough trade-in on NADA was $10000. If I sell it to them right now, I'll have to pay $8000 to the finance company.

Would it be a terrible idea to open a credit card right now? I use my Capital One cash back card right now while working down the balances on the others.

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.