cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to buy a car next week but my credit ISNT so great!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I want to buy a car next week but my credit ISNT so great!!!

Rmarte86 wrote:
Ok guys, I just came on today after work and checked all the comments that were left on here. I appreciate everything you guys are telling me and I do know that it is coming from people who really care, not necessarily care about me, but do want to help me out and not get into financial struggles.
;-) You guys are all right, and I am actually shopping around for something else now. The MDX is still on my list, but I am looking for something cheaper. I have kind of shied away from the MDX due to all the situations that may arise from me getting into a 36k note, now I am actually looking at a 2006 mitsubishi EVO. I have always liked that car but always wanted a jeep instead of a 4 door since I already own one. But I will see what works out better, maybe I can get rid of the car I have now for like 3k and just get a used evo which is still a bit pricey but definetely less than the MDX. I am in the market for it and the prices I see them for are at an average of $25k. That way I can just get a 20k car note after taxes minus down payment. Thanks guys. I appreciate your help and I will let you know what happens.

I am glad you are looking at something a bit more practical (money wise) that will be fun to drive and I am glad you have a good income coming in to pay for it. Make sure you get a great rate that you deserve and enjoy your new car when you get it!
Message 21 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Client9 wrote:
...I dont need to run down to the beach to watch a tsunami come in to experience it. I will gladly take other's advice on tsunamis and run away from the beach....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilly_Smith

Tilly Smith is the British schoolgirl who had recently learned about tsunamis in school and saved over a hundred people by recognizing the signs of one in December 2004.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 22 of 30
Client9
Regular Contributor

We are the Tilly Smith's of this place.
Message 23 of 30
Rmarte86
Established Member

Smiley Happy lol you guys are great. When I ultimately do make up my mind and choose between both cars, what should be my first choice of finance? Should I go with my credit union (which I been with for about two years), or should I go with dealer financing? What would be more practical and which one do you guys think will give me the better rate?
Message 24 of 30
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I think you should should check with your CU first then go to dealer and see if they can beat it!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

fyi...i don't know if you've seen this.  but on MSN.com they have a tool that you can find comparable model cars to the one you actually want. 

also make sure you take a look at the reviews and trade in values.  some cars depreciate in value more so than others. 

whatever you decide, DON'T EVER BE LATE.  it's not only you that will suffer but your cosigner will take a significant hit as well.  we can't tell you to go this route because it's really a personal decision. if you are certain you can make payments on time and certain your job situation will not change in the next 5-7 years (whatever your loan terms are), then whatever, go for it.  if for whatever reason you change jobs or are laid off, making an $800/month car payment would kill the both of you. i'm sure you've already though of this, but just wanted to put it out there.

Message Edited by calichik555 on 06-25-2008 11:47 AM
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

PASS. The insurance + monthly payment are going to kill you. In 2 years, you will realize it was a mistake to get such a nice car. There are so many other cars you can look into than the one you're. Please take the advice you're getting.
Message 27 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Good point about the insurance,  mine went up $20 on the new Lancer.  One of the hidden costs that we dont think about when buying a new vehicle.  Others include cost of those mileage sevices like 15k, 30k, tires etc.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 28 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Client9 wrote:
We are the Tilly Smith's of this place.

Hmm, I've never seen a tsunami first hand nor met a person who has. I've also never incurred debts I was unable to pay, but I HAVE known people who got in over their heads financially, some due to mistakes and some due to medical or employment situations that were totally not their fault. The US is one of the harshest rich countries in how it treats people who fall on difficult times, which means it behooves people who live in such an unforgiving world to take whatever steps they can to protect themselves.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 29 of 30
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Good point about the insurance, mine went up $20 on the new Lancer. One of the hidden costs that we dont think about when buying a new vehicle. Others include cost of those mileage sevices like 15k, 30k, tires etc.

The cost of insuring any vehicle is mostly determined by the personalities of those who buy that model, so the most expensive cars to insure are precisely those that appeal the most to leadfooted drivers. To save money on insurance, drive something that appeals to middle-aged guys or to soccer moms Smiley Happy

Message Edited by MattH on 06-26-2008 03:18 AM
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.