cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I have poor credit, is it better to finance through a dealership?

tag
acercode
Valued Member

If I have poor credit, is it better to finance through a dealership?

I am looking to purchase a 2017 MB GLC or GLE for around $20k. But I have poor credit (FICO ~640). So would I have better chance at financing with a dealership rather than a traditional bank? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: If I have poor credit, is it better to finance through a dealership?

@acercode wrote:

I am looking to purchase a 2017 MB GLC or GLE for around $20k. But I have poor credit (FICO ~640). So would I have better chance at financing with a dealership rather than a traditional bank? 

Your best bet is to wait and fix what is wrong with your credit. You might have a 640 FICO, but is that a bankcard, regular or auto score? They all differ slightly and weigh things a bit differently.

Having paid double digit interest before on car loans, you're not going to do yourself justice with a 12-14% interest rate. That kinda rate means $280-$400 of your payment will be going to interest only.

It's not worth it, trust me. No matter how bad the burr is, it's not worth it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 7

If you must do it now, I would recommend going through a credit union to get pre approved for an auto loan.

There is nothing worse than sitting at a dealership sweating bullets while knowing you'll take whatever is offered to you. I had a similar TU score back in July and NFCU pre approved me for a no down payment used car loan at just over 5 percent interest.

There is no better feeling than walking into the dealership with your financing already in place!

My scores have rebounded and my rebuild journey is going well.

Message 3 of 7
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@acercode wrote:

Yes, you would have a better chance at getting financing through a dealer but not better financing. 640 is not a terrible credit score. There are lenders that still consider 640 as prime. You could check Capital One and PenFed for prequalifiers without damaging your credit. What is needed here for some real feedback is what is making your score 640? Are there lates? What is your utility? Do you have money down?

Financing through a dealer is always an avenue. Dealers are extremely motivated to get approvals. You may not get the best possible that you could get... but you will get an answer at the very least. You do not have to take what is offered but you will know where you stand and where to start. 

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 4 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@fury1995 wrote:

Yes, you would have a better chance at getting financing through a dealer but not better financing. 640 is not a terrible credit score. There are lenders that still consider 640 as prime. You could check Capital One and PenFed for prequalifiers without damaging your credit.

Yep... I got 5% from Cap One last March on a new vehicle... and I was fresh out of Ch 13 discharge with 630ish scores.  I didn't like that car though so I traded it in October (had 10k positive equity) and got my Bronco thru WF at 7% with higher scores... Smiley LOL  Didn't care though because the dealer had EXACTLY what I wanted... a fully loaded Bronco... even the color was right.  I didn't have to order and spend months waiting.

Gonna refi with NFCU when my reports go clean later this year.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 7
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Credit Unions should offer you the best deal! If you don't have any relationship with them, start one!

Auto finance is different, there is already equity on the car.

Message 6 of 7
donkort
Valued Contributor

I got two leases with a 640 credit score.

Forget about "buy here, pay here."  If it comes to that (which it probably won't), it's better to go to an auto auction, and pay cash.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.