cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested In An Auto Loan - Advice Needed.

tag
lovebackwards
Contributor

Interested In An Auto Loan - Advice Needed.

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a possible new car. I've been working hard at rebuilding my credit, and after having high interest loans for older cars for as long as I've been driving I'm ready to finance through a bank or credit union. The info in my signature is correct and up to date. I'll include some data points from my credit report below:

Credit Score: TU - 684; EXP - 667; EQ - 670

AAoA: EQ & EXP: 5 years 1 month; TU: 3 years 10 months

# of positive trade lines: 8

# of negative trade lines: 1

Income: $30,000/yr

Lenght of Employment: 3 months (previously 6 and a half years)

Previous Loan Experience: 2 auto loans (1 with 11 late payments)

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 0 (No rent or mortgage payments and I pay my credit cards off every month)

Year of Car: 2017

Miles: 33,000

Purchase/Refinance: Purchase

Requested loan term (XX Months): 60mo

Down payment amount: Looking to trade in current vehicle (2012 Hyundai Sonata with an est 133k miles [paid off])

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: None

Other: My FICO Auto Scores: EQ - 652; TU - 672; EXQ - 617

The car I'm looking at is an Audi A4 Premium that's priced at about $28,998. What I want to know is can I possibly get financing through a bank or credit union? Right now I currently have accounts with NFCU and Chase Bank. I'm also open to using Audi for financing. Again, right now I'm shopping around (looking to purchase by my birthday which is in July). Any and all advice is appreciated.

TIA

Starting Score [FICO 9] - Nov 2020    Current FICO 8 Scores - 7/08/2022

Goal Scores

Credit Cards - Total: $10,750

Inquiries - 24 Months                                                   Most Recent Hard Pull

Goal Cards

Gardening since 05/04/2021 - Goal: 24 months
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Interested In An Auto Loan - Advice Needed.

I think your main hurdle will be the fact that it's a 10 year old car. Most lenders won't offer a loan for a vehicle that old or with that many miles.

Message 2 of 9
lovebackwards
Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I think your main hurdle will be the fact that it's a 10 year old car. Most lenders won't offer a loan for a vehicle that old or with that many miles.

If I can't trade it in, I was thinking of selling it. What do you think are my approval odds without anything to trade or any money down?

Thanks for your input by the way!

Goal Scores

Inquiries - 24 Months                                                   Most Recent Hard Pull

Goal Cards

Message 3 of 9
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Agree with the above. I don't see any of the major banks wanting to touch that loan.

You need to consider that this is an older german made car, which can be expensive to repair anyway. Add to that that even if could get financing, you'll be financing 100% of your yearly income. 

I would urge you to reconsider. You can buy a brand new Honda Civic for 50% less than that, get a warrenty, and not have a huge payment.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 4 of 9
lovebackwards
Contributor

@ldkcivilservant wrote:

Agree with the above. I don't see any of the major banks wanting to touch that loan.

You need to consider that this is an older german made car, which can be expensive to repair anyway. Add to that that even if could get financing, you'll be financing 100% of your yearly income. 

I would urge you to reconsider. You can buy a brand new Honda Civic for 50% less than that, get a warrenty, and not have a huge payment.

I think I put the wrong car info in my data points (I put the car I want to trade/sell). I'll update that in the original post. The car I want is a 2017 Audi A4 Premium with 33,000 miles. 

Goal Scores

Goal Cards

Message 5 of 9
RSX
Valued Contributor

My usual advice is to look for a car that is lower than 50% of your gross income

The car I'm looking at is an Audi A4 Premium that's priced at about $28,998.

the other issue is your 3month tenure - i do get that you have a previous tenure of 6+ years, so that helps

but getting a 99% loan to salary is a bad idea

also, though low miles, a 5 year old Audi will start having issues, regardless of miles, and they will be in the $600-$1200 range for each repair

i would suggest a newer, $15k car with some warranty left

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 6 of 9
lovebackwards
Contributor

@RSX wrote:

My usual advice is to look for a car that is lower than 50% of your gross income

The car I'm looking at is an Audi A4 Premium that's priced at about $28,998.

the other issue is your 3month tenure - i do get that you have a previous tenure of 6+ years, so that helps

but getting a 99% loan to salary is a bad idea

also, though low miles, a 5 year old Audi will start having issues, regardless of miles, and they will be in the $600-$1200 range for each repair

i would suggest a newer, $15k car with some warranty left

Thanks!

Goal Scores

Goal Cards

Message 7 of 9
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@lovebackwards wrote:

Hello,

I'm currently in the market for a possible new car. I've been working hard at rebuilding my credit, and after having high interest loans for older cars for as long as I've been driving I'm ready to finance through a bank or credit union. The info in my signature is correct and up to date. I'll include some data points from my credit report below:

Credit Score: TU - 684; EXP - 667; EQ - 670

AAoA: EQ & EXP: 5 years 1 month; TU: 3 years 10 months

# of positive trade lines: 8

# of negative trade lines: 1

Previous Loan Experience: 2 auto loans (1 with 11 late payments)

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 0 (No rent or mortgage payments and I pay my credit cards off every month)

Year of Car: 2017

Miles: 33,000

Purchase/Refinance: Purchase

Requested loan term (XX Months): 60mo

Down payment amount: Looking to trade in current vehicle (2012 Hyundai Sonata with an est 133k miles [paid off])

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: None

Other: My FICO Auto Scores: EQ - 652; TU - 672; EXQ - 617

The car I'm looking at is an Audi A4 Premium that's priced at about $28,998. What I want to know is can I possibly get financing through a bank or credit union? Right now I currently have accounts with NFCU and Chase Bank. I'm also open to using Audi for financing. Again, right now I'm shopping around (looking to purchase by my birthday which is in July). Any and all advice is appreciated.

TIA

I think due to those things I highlighted in Bold, Red that you will have a problem getting a loan without at least a co-signer, or if you do get one the APR rate will be through the roof. BUT if you want to try a Credit Union you have good history with is for sure the place you want to try.

Message 8 of 9
lovebackwards
Contributor

I wanted to provide an update to my post: I was approved! Bought the car yesterday and just picked her up this morning!

I vastly underreported my income (by about $10,000!) which helped in my approval. I financed a 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Premium. The base price was $24,556 but after two warranties, taxes and fees it totaled out to $31,296.80 with a $1500 down payment. My payments are $548.83 a month. Capital One offered me a little over 10% interest rate, but Chase beat them with 7.89% over 72 months. They pulled my Equifax and my score is/was 670.

I'm super excited because this was my first purchase that didn't have double digit interest (my last car was financed at 22%!). I've been reparing my credit for about 18 months (scores are accurate in signature), and I'm really proud of myself. I plan to refinance in 6-12 months for a better rate but I wanted to share with you all my success. 

Goal Scores

Goal Cards

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.