cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is gap ins included in out of door price?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Frequent Contributor

Is gap ins included in out of door price?

Sorry it's a bit off topic but I cannot find answers.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Established Member

Re: Is gap ins included in out of door price?

My understanding is that out the door price includes price of car, taxes, title, and dealer fees, but not gap.

I would not buy gap insurance from car dealer.

Most auto insurers will sell you new car replacement coverage for a small additional premium.

Message 2 of 5
Regular Contributor

It's an added-on price you elect there during signing the documents, or don't.  I am far too embarrassed to say what my gap insurance is in my car loan.  I prepared ahead or time, had  decent financing in place, even with my bad credit, but forgot to check out the whole gap coverage before I went down there.  I just signed the document and rolled it into my loan, but I could kick myself.  It's high, really high.  Oh, well.  At least I am covered on all fronts.  Where I live is noted for its high rate of car accidents in the U.S.  We have lots of ongoing construction on our interstate through the city and outlying counties (a five-year plan turned into a seven-year plan it seems), and I'm on it almost every day.

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC'd to Quicksilver (9/19) - $600 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $1500 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA (6/19) - $700 CL - (Doubles to $1400 CL 12/19)
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $1000 CL

Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528
Experian FICO Score - 9/2019: 634
Message 3 of 5
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

It almost never included in the "out the door" price however it is cheap enough that I would encourage 99% of most buyers to have.  When I was spinning paper in the box it was a flat $599 and I never negotiated.  There are a few products that I would sometimes make an exception for...mostly the extended service agreement because there was so much profit in it that I didn't mind sliding a couple hundreds bucks if needed to get the deal done.  But because I believe in GAP so much it was just one of those personal decision that I made to never let up on the cost...I know the value of it and it far and exceeds the $599 in most cases when it needed to be used.  

Message 4 of 5
Valued Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

It almost never included in the "out the door" price however it is cheap enough that I would encourage 99% of most buyers to have.  When I was spinning paper in the box it was a flat $599 and I never negotiated.  There are a few products that I would sometimes make an exception for...mostly the extended service agreement because there was so much profit in it that I didn't mind sliding a couple hundreds bucks if needed to get the deal done.  But because I believe in GAP so much it was just one of those personal decision that I made to never let up on the cost...I know the value of it and it far and exceeds the $599 in most cases when it needed to be used.  

Exactly why I never purchased it from the dealer.  Is it a valuable tool?  Yes.  I can also pay $6 every 6 months for it through my car insurance company.  When I used NFCU for an auto loan it was $299.  

Ch 7 Discharge 3/12/2018
Cap One QS1 $3,500, Wayfair $5,000, Blaze MC $3,000, Kohls $500
Infiniti Financial lease

AU Cards: CSP $40.7k; Chase Marriott $20k; Discover $7.8k; CapOne Venture $30k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.