cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is getting a lease transfer cheaper than a brand new lease?

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Is getting a lease transfer cheaper than a brand new lease?

Specifially looking at Lexus financial services.

is it cheaper to assume someone elses lease than going to lexus and paying a signing downpayment etc?

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is getting a lease transfer cheaper than a brand new lease?

I think that is going to depend on the deal structure the original customer has and if they are willing to throw any money at the person subletting the vehicle to sweeten the deal.

My brother sublet his 2018 BMW 540i just a couple months ago to a lady. She assumed the original terms of the lease and he gave her $1,000 cash. It was a great deal for her because my brother put down $4,000 and had $3,000 trade equity when he leased the BMW, so he essentially had $7,000 down making the payment lower than many other similar vehicles.

He did not use a company to do this transaction. I knew a lady who was in the market and I knew he wanted get out of the vehicle. He simply started the process by calling BMW, the lady filled out their credit app and within an hour they both received an email saying the lease transfer had been approved.

Had he traded in his lease, he would have been about $8k upside down, so this was win-win for both parties.

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 2 of 5
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

So the lady didn't have to come out of pocket at all?
Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 3 of 5
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

Nope - first payment was due when the next payment per original lease was due. No sales tax because it was originally leased in Texas and she lives in Texas as well.

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 4 of 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I have seen some leases on Swapalease that are horrible.  If you are looking at a new lease always have them price it zero drive off or only first month payment.  Never, ever put a down payment on a lease.   

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.