cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there such thing as a "charge off" to a dealer if I trade in a new car?

tag
user365735
Regular Contributor

Is there such thing as a "charge off" to a dealer if I trade in a new car?

ive just purchased a new car two months ago. i hate it..but thats besides the point.

Im trying to trade it in already and ive gone back to the orignal dealer to work out a deal. the "used car manager" was off today so they wouldnt tell me if they would give me what i want for my trade in but said wait to speak to him since he does all the auction stuff and he has the final say in this. 

My question is, I have read about dealers getting charge backs or something. Is there such a thing? Can I use this against them? I am hoping to get 15k for the trade in and carvana and edmounds point me to that range. Even KBB is saying 14k but dealers first offer was 12k.

If I can find a dealer to give me close to 15k then its a done deal.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Is there such thing as a "charge off" to a dealer if I trade in a new car?

1) the car is not new anymore.

2) a car depreciates drastically once its driven off the lot

3) the dealer will always offer less than the estimated value according to third party sites

Without knowing the specific car/value/payoff, it's hard to say if it's a fair estimate.  But if Carvana is offering you close to what you want, that may be the best way to go.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.