cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment that showed, left and now back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment that showed, left and now back?

My fiance and his ex-girlfriend had an auto loan together in 2008 and had to turn the vehicle back in and he was the cosigner.  August of 2011 a court appointment a judgment against them for the balance owed on the auto loan.  The judgment showed on her credit for a while and then all of sudden vanished from her credit.  They both have financed/purchased vehicles in the past due to the judgment was no longer on either one's credit.  Now they both have received a letter stating a judgment will be placed against her and him.  I have never heard of a judgment vanishing and then all of a sudden showing back up.  This is nine years later.  Has anyone ever experienced such?  We are in North Carolina.

2 REPLIES 2
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Judgment that showed, left and now back?

Just because it is not on their reports doesn't mean it went away. Judgements can be renewed every 10 years (I think) and while it can't be on credit reports after 7 years they can still garnish bank accounts and wages if they fill out the correct paperwork with the courts

Message 2 of 3
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Judgment that showed, left and now back?

As the other poster mentioned just because it is not on reports doesn't mean they don't owe it and yes they still have a judgement which can be renewed. This could and usually does lead to garnishment .

They passed something awhile  back removing most judgements from your credit reports(nothing to do with 7 year reporting) that however does not absolve them from owing and be liable for it .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.