Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leasing vs. Buying

tag
finnewbie
Valued Member

Leasing vs. Buying

Hello,

I am getting ready to make my first big ticket purchase, besides my education, and get a car. I am not certain, however, which is the best step to take, lease vs buy an used car. I need the car to get to work, so not getting one isn't an option. I have a steady income, about 75-80K a year, my scores are fair btw 640-670 primarily due to the fact that I have high balances on my CC's, I have a deferred student loan since I am working on my second master's and no past auto loans. My Dad says to look into leasing since I will be mainly driving around the NY metro area, don't have a large downpayment and I really don't want to commit to a long-term loan. Also, leasing terms covers maintenance. Nonethless, I've been reading the forums and it seems that it will be difficult to get good leasing terms with my range of credit scores. So I was considering getting a loan for an used car and if I can't get the best APR, refinance 6-12 months later once I've reduced my DTI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Leasing vs. Buying

You have to think about what you want. Do you want a new car every few years but always have a payment? How many miles do you drive per year? Do you like to mod your car?
Remember with leasing you will be responsible for any damages upon returning the vehicle, and I would worry if you are driving alot in the NY area.

If you would like to keep your car for many years and build equity, eventually not have a car payment, and not have to worry about miles, then buying is the best option.

You say you don't want to commit to a long term loan. Leasing does not fit into that as you will always have a car payment.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 6
blondy250
Established Contributor

@finnewbie wrote:

Hello,

I am getting ready to make my first big ticket purchase, besides my education, and get a car. I am not certain, however, which is the best step to take, lease vs buy an used car. I need the car to get to work, so not getting one isn't an option. I have a steady income, about 75-80K a year, my scores are fair btw 640-670 primarily due to the fact that I have high balances on my CC's, I have a deferred student loan since I am working on my second master's and no past auto loans. My Dad says to look into leasing since I will be mainly driving around the NY metro area, don't have a large downpayment and I really don't want to commit to a long-term loan. Also, leasing terms covers maintenance. Nonethless, I've been reading the forums and it seems that it will be difficult to get good leasing terms with my range of credit scores. So I was considering getting a loan for an used car and if I can't get the best APR, refinance 6-12 months later once I've reduced my DTI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Getting the best lease terms requires a higher score then generally financing. If I had the your scores, and I had the cash I would look to buy used.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 3 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

If your cc's have high balances, is it really possible for you to take on another payment? Logically it just doesn't fit.

Why don't you get a beater for cash because you need a vehicle and then take the time to pay off your cc's to your ideal utilization. At that point you will be ready to finance a vehicle you can afford. Also you will have an incentive to pay down your cc's more quickly with the ultimate reward of getting a car you want to drive.

IMO, leasing is an awful idea for almost everyone Yes, the payments are lower but that is about it. You have nothing at the end of the lease except to turn it in and lease or buy something else. Plus there are all the other expenses due at the end of the lease (excess milage and $$ for dings and dents etc). All a lease does is extend the terms of repayment if you ultimately end up buying the vehicle (so you have now paid a lot more for it by leasing first) or if you don't buy it you just threw away that money for whatever term you leased (24 mths, 36 mths etc). Car dealerships love leases! They make the most profit from a lease and they still control the asset! Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6
Poki
Valued Member

My profile sounds similar to yours, my FICO score is lower (just dropped to 650), and my utilization is too high. Although I never considered leasing, I did recently approve for a car loan and privately sold my old car; I now feel it was a mistake, I should have just kept my '05 Honda since it was in good condition and paid off. Although, I do much like my newer car.

Consumers who lease have nothing to show when the lease is up; they have to either lease another car, or purchase a car. Not something I recommend but I do see where the appeal is.

I don't want you to regret anything, so hopefully you think this over. There are a number of good used cars out there, so long you take care of theme and have an emergency budget. I also think its better to own a car outright - imho

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 5 of 6
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

IMO, always purchase rather than lease. Leasing is essentially a long term rental car. Building equity rather than give your money away, although its a diminishing asset. Same concept as renting versus buying a house.

If I were you, I'd purchase and refi in a year if you didn't get a good rate.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.