cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders that allow higher insurance deductibles?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lenders that allow higher insurance deductibles?

I am approved through NFCU but all the paperwork says $500 deductible. Do you think if I call them I can ask for $1000 instead?
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt they will allow a higher deductible if they specify a certain deductible amount. It wouldn't be fair to other customer's of NFCU to allow you a different deductible amount than everyone else. Definately be cautious of this, once you end up buying a vehicle, insure that you are within the insurance deductible requirements of your lender, otherwise they will put costly force-place insurance on the vehicle.

There is alot of research that goes into their required deductible amounts, lender's typically prefer a lower deductible because it insures that their property (the collatoral) is better taken care of, in that customer's can afford to fix the vehicle in the event of needing to file an insurance claim.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was responding to the user that said they had a $1k deductible with NFCU. I appreciate you trying to help but I don't need a lecture on the reasoning for deductible amounts. I understand how Insurance works. I simply asked about which lenders allowed higher deductibles, that's all.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

And, like I said, if NFCU found out that person has a higher deductible than allowed, they reserve the right to put force place insurance on the collateral which is ungodly expensive.

While the information I provided may not be "beneficial" to you, it may be beneficial for someone else to know why lender's require "$xxx" for a deductible and no higher.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I am approved through NFCU but all the paperwork says $500 deductible. Do you think if I call them I can ask for $1000 instead?

Absolutely, do this. Then update please.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.