Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lexus basic factory warranty expiration question

tag
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Lexus basic factory warranty expiration question

The DH has a 2017 Lexus ES that he got last year. He’s getting notices to obtain additional coverage since the basic limited factory warranty is about to expired. Is it necessary to get an extended warranty? The car doesn’t go on long commutes, and he maintains it well.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Lexus basic factory warranty expiration question

Lexus is one of the most reliable cars you can buy.

I would check with the dealership for options on a LEXUS extended warranty before the factory warranty expires and they weigh out the value.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 5
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Lexus is one of the most reliable cars you can buy.

I would check with the dealership for options on a LEXUS extended warranty before the factory warranty expires and they weigh out the value.

GL!

Thanks! That’s good to know. I’ll call and figured it out.

Message 3 of 5
Dennis885
Contributor

Like the previous poster stated, Lexus is a very reliable vehicle, so it's really up to you.  If the peace of mind is worth it to you than go for it.  The last car I purchased I bought an extended warranty for the duration of my loan to avoid paying a payment and repairs if something happened.  I never used the warranty but the peace of mind was worth it to me.   Here are some things I would recommend:

- Avoid 3rd Party Warranties, many have deductibles, won't cover as much, won't pay for OEM parts, etc.  If you go for an extended warranty get the one offical one from your manufacturer.

- Keep in mind that extended warranties are one of the biggest money makers for car dealers.  Their first price will often be a 100% markup on cost.   

- Best Tip:  You often do no have to buy the extended warranty from the same dealer who sold you the car.  In your case you can buy it from any Toyota/Lexus dealer, do a google search and you'll find a few Lexus dealers who will sell you the warranty quick and easy, with a much lower markup.  From there you can buy it or offer your dealer to match the price if you really wanted. 

Hope this helps!

EDIT:  Here's an updated list sorted by Make.  Find Toyota/Lexus and there will be dealer contacts who will give you the best prices on a Lexus extended warranty.

https://slickdeals.net/f/8771643-auto-truck-suv-extended-warranty-master-thread-all-vehicles-2019

Message 4 of 5
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Dennis885 wrote:

Like the previous poster stated, Lexus is a very reliable vehicle, so it's really up to you.  If the peace of mind is worth it to you than go for it.  The last car I purchased I bought an extended warranty for the duration of my loan to avoid paying a payment and repairs if something happened.  I never used the warranty but the peace of mind was worth it to me.   Here are some things I would recommend:

- Avoid 3rd Party Warranties, many have deductibles, won't cover as much, won't pay for OEM parts, etc.  If you go for an extended warranty get the one offical one from your manufacturer.

- Keep in mind that extended warranties are one of the biggest money makers for car dealers.  Their first price will often be a 100% markup on cost.   

- Best Tip:  You often do no have to buy the extended warranty from the same dealer who sold you the car.  In your case you can buy it from any Toyota/Lexus dealer, do a google search and you'll find a few Lexus dealers who will sell you the warranty quick and easy, with a much lower markup.  From there you can buy it or offer your dealer to match the price if you really wanted. 

Hope this helps!

EDIT:  Here's an updated list sorted by Make.  Find Toyota/Lexus and there will be dealer contacts who will give you the best prices on a Lexus extended warranty.

https://slickdeals.net/f/8771643-auto-truck-suv-extended-warranty-master-thread-all-vehicles-2019

Wow, that's some amazing info! Thanks so much. I'll be checking this out, today.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.