Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License and Registration

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

License and Registration

Again, not an auto loan topic but the topic seems appropriate for this section.  A quick recap...purchased a car not long ago and it was delivered with plates already on the car. I was told I would have to keep the plates with the car but I've also heard that since the car has changed hands, I'd be receiving new plates in the mail along with registration. I'd really like to get new plates b/c I don't like the condition of the plates already on the car. They are beat up and worn for some odd reason. Will I receive new plates? I already pre-paid up for registration and tags but I'm a little confused about the plates. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: License and Registration

I'm not sure what state you live in, but I live in the Chicagoland area and when I purchased a suv last Oct the dealer put on brand new plates for me since my old ones was up for renewal.

Message 2 of 8
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Hi there!

I live in CA. We don't renew plates here but I do know some states require a renewal every 7 years. I think CA is too big to handle such a task. Lol.

Message 3 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Hi There! Merry Christmas!

In CO we get temp tags even if the car's owner has plates on the car. When the temps expire, we have to go up to the motor vehicle office and pay registration and title. At the time we receive new plates. I've heard the plates can be transferred to someone new but I never did it. If you want to swap out your plates for new ones down the road, you can do it for free at time of registration (if you're eligible...every 2 years I think) or pay a charge for them at any time if you're not eligible. I would just give them a call tomorrow and ask what your options are.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 8
tisch0791
New Contributor

Hmmm maybe give your DMV a call and let them know.  If the plates are really beat up they might replace them for you for a reduced fee?  Just a thought!

Message 5 of 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I've lived in some states where the plates stay with the car and get put into the buyers name, in others the seller keeps the plates and buyer gets new ones (or the plates from the trade-in go on the new vehicle purchased).  I prefer the second because you don;t know what databases the seller's plates may have been placed in, and as a seller you have limited protection if the buyer never re-registers. (in TX the seller can file a notice of sale so the state knows the plates have changed).

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@maiden_girl wrote:

Hi there!

I live in CA. We don't renew plates here but I do know some states require a renewal every 7 years. I think CA is too big to handle such a task. Lol.

Actually CA has an online renewal process. Just use your favorite search engine to find it...

Message 7 of 8
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the responses! I will probably take the plates to the DMV and ask for a replacement set since the plates I have are really beaten up. They do nothing for my car! LOL.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.