Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Buy a Car With Bad Credit in NJ - Advice Please

tag
SNJGuy

Looking to Buy a Car With Bad Credit in NJ - Advice Please

Folks,

My lease is up in November, and I need a car. I've set a limit of about 25K and have been considering either a used Ford Edge (2011-2013) or a used Volkswagen Passat/CC in the same model year range.

My credit is a mess thanks to divorce with the following - Equifax 507 | TU 512| Experian 610

Any advice on dealers that work with credit scores in my range, or on-line banks I should apply to? I have about 2-3K to put down.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking to Buy a Car With Bad Credit in NJ - Advice Please

All dealers will work with virtually any score; however, putting down 10% may be problematic with those scores; though a lender which pulls EX might be an option depending on how your prior auto-loan history looks.  Depending on where you live would determine whether the dealer is likely to pull EX or not.

Someone may have a name of a lender or two that would do this, but on my own quest at a 551 Auto FICO two years ago, it would've been a non-starter and I checked several lenders.  I think I'd be looking for something around half or even less of that cost for a temporary solution while I rebuilt my credit.

        
Message 2 of 6
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

The only way I was able to get a loan when my credit scores were around 523 was thru Roadloans. Although I had an high interest rate I was able to get a car that was only a year old at the time. Just refinance with a credit union as soon as you can.
Message 3 of 6
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Are you happy with your current car?  A lot of times the captive will finance the buyout at favorable rates.  I know of one where the people had an Infiniti coming off of lease and were getting ready to go into BK, Infiniti gave them 2% on the buyout.

Message 4 of 6
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

If your in north jersey all american ford or wayne mazda will help you walk out with a brand new ride
C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 5 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree, who is your current lease? Has it been paid on time?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.