Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mechanics lien on a financed vehicle

tag
Jameson007
New Visitor

Mechanics lien on a financed vehicle

I had a mechanic file a mechanics lien on my car that's still being financed. Loan company refuses to take the car (since they would have to pay the balance) and is taking me to court for the unpaid loan balance. They know as I know the repair cost is more than what the car is worth.  Can the loan company still sue me if the mechanics lien is higher than their lien? Wouldn't any money I pay go to the mechanic first? Thanks 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bigseegar
Established Contributor

Re: Mechanics lien on a financed vehicle

@Jameson007 wrote:

I had a mechanic file a mechanics lien on my car that's still being financed. Loan company refuses to take the car (since they would have to pay the balance) and is taking me to court for the unpaid loan balance. They know as I know the repair cost is more than what the car is worth.  Can the loan company still sue me if the mechanics lien is higher than their lien? Wouldn't any money I pay go to the mechanic first? Thanks 

Absolutely they can sue you and the Court would decide who gets what money based on the documents.

Message 2 of 3
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mechanics lien on a financed vehicle

You're on the hook for whatever is left of both balances after the car is sold. Just because the asset is gone does not mean they cannot garnish you for the rest.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.