cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage calculation for auto loan

tag
tatum4315

Mortgage calculation for auto loan

My wife and I are both  working and both on the home mortgage. When qualifying for auto loan for myself only, do I have to factor in the full amount of mortgage, inc. taxes and insurance, or can I claim half the payment?

Thanks, Tatum

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage calculation for auto loan

The entire payment for the mortgage will be included in your DTI.  They won't deduct half.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@tatum4315 wrote:

My wife and I are both  working and both on the home mortgage. When qualifying for auto loan for myself only, do I have to factor in the full amount of mortgage, inc. taxes and insurance, or can I claim half the payment?

Thanks, Tatum

Hi!  You may check with a CU and ask them to quote you both an individual auto loan, and one that is joint with your wife.  If there are credit blemishes on her report, they may not matter, as some Credit Unions only use the score of the primary applicant when determining the rate. 

Best of luck!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 4
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

The entire payment for the mortgage will be included in your DTI.  They won't deduct half.

+1.  Any debt , either in your name only, or joint with others will be included in your individual DTI calculation.  Found that out when I bought an atv last year.  Got a .25% penalty added to my rate because of high DTI.  That was also because I was joint with my daughter on her car also, and had not paid off my student loans then.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.