Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEWBIE QUESTION about auto loan

tag
cyberone28
Regular Contributor

NEWBIE QUESTION about auto loan

ok i got approved for  a loan with roadloans  for 20k at 18% apr for 72 month  ( but  they report the credit agencies but is way too high...)

a bigger dealer approve me for 19%..... so this is a NO

then a small  approved me "in house financing" for 12% for 3 years but they wont report

now the car is 15k,  and has 70k miles

what chances i have to refinance with a bank and how long will it normally take so i can refinance? im in the process of rebuilding my credit and i need this to improve it more.. ( i have no issues paying on time etc) need help

Hey my credit is not that bad.. at least i got a couch with a 87% APR Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 462 Smiley Sad journey started on 3/29/2013
Current Score: EXP 715 Smiley Happy EQ 720 Smiley Happy TU 700 Barclaycard fico Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700+ one day Smiley Happy update... 750+ across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Re: NEWBIE QUESTION about auto loan

These auto loans may not improve your credit score as much as you think. You will see a bump for mix of credit if you do not have any installment loans already (student, personal). Revolving credit lines are the strongest way to build up your credit such as general credit or store cards.  Additionally, these interest rates are very high and if the car is overpriced to begin with, your loss in equity is substantial especially at a time when you are trying to build credit. IMO, reconsider the necessity of these auto loans and compare with a more frugal route. 

Message 2 of 3
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: NEWBIE QUESTION about auto loan

I agree that you should consider whether you need that much loan at this time or whether it is smarter to wait until you have rehabbed your credit with other trade lines. However, in response to your question if I was going to do it I would select the loan that is going to report to the bureaus even though the interest rate is significantly higher.

The reason I say this is that with either loan you will obviously be looking to refinance at some point down the road. With the reporting loan you will at least show some good auto loan history to enhance your chances. Be aware that in this case you are going to have to make payments above and beyond the required payment to avoid being totally upside down in the equity value of the vehicle and the loan amount due. And most banks have an age and mileage limit on the vehicles they will refinance. So check that out before you decide.

I know in my case when I was rebuilding from past mistakes there were a couple of loans and credit cards that I accepted and just bit the bullet. Kind of paying for my past mistakes and building toward a better future. And it worked. Today I am in much better shape for whatever I want. I'm even a homeowner. And there was a point in the beginning I wouldn't have loaned me money for a six pack.Smiley Very Happy

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.