Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU/Chase/USAA Auto Loan Approval

tag
AutisticPretzel
New Contributor

NFCU/Chase/USAA Auto Loan Approval

I don't see an great deal of information, data points or overall love for USAA on these boards, so I figured I would contribute. 

The backstory: Once I found the vehicle I wanted (2016 Subaru WRX STI), I originally applied with NFCU as I have a 20 year relationship and numerous deposit/credit products with them. While I was approved, I found the rate to be abysmal to say the least. They offered 10.64% for 60 or 72 months. While it was nice to know I had guaranteed financing, I just couldn't sleep well knowing I would be paying near subprime levels of interest if I went with them.

2 days after the NFCU approval, I figured I would go ahead and burn a hard inquiry with USAA. They use FICO 3 for all of their lending products. I figured if I did get an approval, it would be around the same as NFCU.. Or worse. To my utter surprise, they came back with a 5.94% rate for 72 months & 6.19% for 75 months. I was seriously in shock. I never imagined USAA would offer significantly better terms than NFCU on a used auto loan. Needless to say, I accepted right away. My FICO 3 score was 717 at the time of approval. Their lowest used auto loan rate is 4.99% so 5.94% - 6.19% is amazing if you consider recent federal interest rate hikes.

When I tell you it was hands down the EASIEST car buying experience you'll ever have, it's not an exaggeration. I digitally signed ALL of my paperwork within 3 minutes of the approval and USAA sends the forms directly to the dealership of your choice - All you have to do is provide the dealerships email address. Since I was purchasing from out of state, the dealership told me they needed a "backup plan" before I could take the vehicle off the lot just in case they ran into any hiccups with USAA remitting payment, which was understandable. I agreed I would allow them to run an application through Chase and Chase alone. Fortunately, they honored my request and didn't shotgun my credit to other lenders. Since Chase does the financing for Subaru anyways, they were willing to match USAA's APR rate, but not the term. USAA let me go 75 months. Chase would only do 72 months. Granted, I didn't need to go this long to begin with, but it helps for DTI purposes. I opted just to stick with USAA as that's who I have my insurance with as well. 

Here's some other important information in regards to my profile...

2% Utilization, DTI under 10%, no derogatories/lates/charge offs, 10 new accounts reporting in the previous 6 months.

NFCU approved me for a maximum of $26,400/72 months/10.64% APR

USAA approved me for a maximum of $28,900/75 months/6.19% APR

Chase matched USAA's 6.19% @ 72 months

My TransUnion FICO 9 score was 760+, but NFCU, in fairness, has extended me around $30K in credit over the last 6 months, so my guess is the high 10.64% APR reflects the recent (relatively) high exposure I have with them. One last bit of information - The representative did let me know that after you make 12 on time payments on a NFCU car loan that they will refinance their own loan for a better rate. Alot of places don't refinance their own loans, so that's nice.

USAA has gotten a lot of flack over the recent years for supposedly not being "competitive" in the lending space, but they definitely came in clutch for me. If you're a military member, a veteran or family member eligible for membership, don't write them off - You may just be surprised at what they can offer!

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU/Chase/USAA Auto Loan Approval

For your information use Google our friend and search the San Antonio-Express News on USAA. You will obtain a more rounded picture of what has been happening at the bank.
Message 2 of 17
AutisticPretzel
New Contributor

Respectfully, as a USAA member for the better part of 19.5 years, I'm well aware of their overall decline over the previous decade, including the recent "noncompliance" issues as it pertains to autopay discounts on auto loans. I don't believe the aforementioned shortcomings and failures devalue my personal experience though.

My only goal/purpose in sharing was to provide others with the same information and data points I struggled to find here on MF and elsewhere. I strongly believe there isn't one major bank or consumer lending institution that hasn't had some form of shady or questionable business practices put into play at some point in time. The likes of USAA, Bank Of America, Truist & Wells Fargo are just the ones who recently got caught.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Respectfully, I was a member for over 15 years at USAA and was calling your attention to information you may not have been aware of in response to your assertion: "USAA has gotten a lot of flak over the recent years for supposedly not being "competitive" in the lending space".

At the time, I had no way of knowing you were a long-time member, and my purpose was offering information on why people may or may not be pursuing USAA.

For myself I have found many FIs that have products suited for my spending needs of today. Also, I found rates for loan products that suited my profile elsewhere.

Further, in reading around in this Forum, other posters have commented on several FIs and expressed various opinions on their behavior and future courses of action including USAA.

Message 4 of 17
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@AutisticPretzel wrote:

I don't believe the aforementioned shortcomings and failures devalue my personal experience though.

My only goal/purpose in sharing was to provide others with the same information and data points I struggled to find here on MF and elsewhere.

Easy tiger. No one is devaluing your relationship with USAA. No one even knew anything about your relationship with USAA from your original post.

You had only discussed your long time credit relationship with Navy Federal and disappointment with their preapproval rate... and your equally shocked USAA preapproval rate with no mention of your USAA relationship. 

The reply was meant to share some data points as to why you may not find many posts sharing the love for USAA, which you did mention in your original post.

Regardless, congratulations on your approval rate with USAA .. and Chase. And congratulations on your (new to you) WRX.

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 5 of 17
AutisticPretzel
New Contributor

Let's pump the proverbial brakes for a moment (pun intended).

"Easy tiger. No one is devaluing your relationship with USAA. No one even knew anything about your relationship with USAA from your original post."

There simply was no relevance in initially mentioning my time of membership with USAA as they are not a "relationship based" institution in any sense of the phrase. NFCU IS very much relationship based. Secondly, I didn't say he was devaluing my relationship overall with USAA - I simply said it doesn't change or cheapen this specific experience.

"The reply was meant to share some data points as to why you may not find many posts sharing the love for USAA, which you did mention in your original post."

....Well, that's thing thing, Tiger: There wasn't even really a DP shared from them. The individual in question essentially referred me to the Google search function without even mentioning the specific problem(s) he may have been referencing lol.

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm confident in saying that these recent incidents absolutely, positively are not the reason behind the lack of love and information with USAA around these parts. As I initially said, the primary reason is the lack of overall competitive products. From the high interest rates, to the use of an outdated FICO scoring model, stringent UW'ing and the chronic nerfing of products, this is enough to turn your average semi-educated consumer off by itself. Their strict eligiblity standards play a role in limited information as well.

What's my anecdote? The lack of USAA info/DP's all throughout the MF forums has 100% predated any of the noteable public issues with them. If an institution has worthwhile products or services that fits a consumers needs, a little scandal rarely, if ever gets in the way of a consumer pursuing said products. You can go to the 'Credit Card Approvals' forum right now and find a couple of Wells Fargo & Bank Of America approvals every few pages - Two of the worst financial regulation offenders in the financial space.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I hope you all enjoy your Sunday and have a good day!

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AutisticPretzel

"I hate to be "that guy" but I'm confident in saying that these recent incidents absolutely, positively are not the reason behind the lack of love and information with USAA around these parts. As I initially said, the primary reason is the lack of overall competitive products. From the high interest rates, to the use of an outdated FICO scoring model, stringent UW'ing and the chronic nerfing of products, this is enough to turn your average semi-educated consumer off by itself. Their strict eligiblity standards play a role in limited information as well."

Certainly did not read that in your initial posting ... for some one who supports your loan with USAA I did not assume what you wrote? However,  you do bring out several items that as a former member of USAA I could recognize. In fact I went to other FIs for some of the reasons you did. Also, as one reads around the Forum, posters hace continued to utilize the services of FIs that have had some scary happenings.

Need to mention that the reader may not always look at an initial post the same way the poster does until more information comes forth. Add to your list of items is the fact you could not receive adjustments to Aprs as the profile improved over time (similar to Chase) and there was no pc'ing between card products which some other FIs do not do allow. Also, rather than repeat what has been posted in this Forum on various FI's happenings a reference of using a search tool has been utilized. For myself, I do not want to say more as USAA had been a good starter place for me back many years ago.

Related to your reference to data points on USAA going back in time ... had to think on it and I do not believe there have been many postings other than around the introduction of the USAA Limitless Cash Rewards Visa 2017. Since then not a lot that I can recall.

Message 7 of 17
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@AutisticPretzel wrote:

Let's pump the proverbial brakes for a moment (pun intended).

"Easy tiger. No one is devaluing your relationship with USAA. No one even knew anything about your relationship with USAA from your original post."

There simply was no relevance in initially mentioning my time of membership with USAA as they are not a "relationship based" institution in any sense of the phrase. NFCU IS very much relationship based. Secondly, I didn't say he was devaluing my relationship overall with USAA - I simply said it doesn't change or cheapen this specific experience.

"The reply was meant to share some data points as to why you may not find many posts sharing the love for USAA, which you did mention in your original post."

....Well, that's thing thing, Tiger: There wasn't even really a DP shared from them. The individual in question essentially referred me to the Google search function without even mentioning the specific problem(s) he may have been referencing lol.

I hate to be "that guy" but I'm confident in saying that these recent incidents absolutely, positively are not the reason behind the lack of love and information with USAA around these parts. As I initially said, the primary reason is the lack of overall competitive products. From the high interest rates, to the use of an outdated FICO scoring model, stringent UW'ing and the chronic nerfing of products, this is enough to turn your average semi-educated consumer off by itself. Their strict eligiblity standards play a role in limited information as well.

What's my anecdote? The lack of USAA info/DP's all throughout the MF forums has 100% predated any of the noteable public issues with them. If an institution has worthwhile products or services that fits a consumers needs, a little scandal rarely, if ever gets in the way of a consumer pursuing said products. You can go to the 'Credit Card Approvals' forum right now and find a couple of Wells Fargo & Bank Of America approvals every few pages - Two of the worst financial regulation offenders in the financial space.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I hope you all enjoy your Sunday and have a good day!

Whoa, whoa whoa... Easy does it there. No need to get so upset. Not even a thank you for the *two* congratulations? <<  This was meant in jest. That's the thing about message boards, tone is not always obvious.

USAA has been discussed here quite a bit. Not so much since you've been a member the last year or so but I can remember threads upon threads going back about 5 to 10 years when *everyone* was getting free or cheap credit reports and scores via USAA/Experian. Actually, there is ALOT less discussions here on the this forum in general than there used to be.

And.. I'm sensing you don't really hate being that guy, Buddy Boy. You can have Buddy Boy now, I'll reclaim Tiger since you chose to give it back to me. << Jesting again.

Shoot, I almost forgot change colors to direct a negative tone when quoting. >> again, I jest..

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 8 of 17
AutisticPretzel
New Contributor

As I somewhat alluded to in my previous statement, if you're unable to contribute relevant information/data to the crux of the original subject matter, I believe it's best if you simply keep it moving. Snide, passive aggressive comments contribute nothing of substantive value to this particular post or the forum in general. 

I firmly yet respectfully re-articulated my point you took issue with, wished you both a good day and kept it moving - I would implore you to do the same.

Message 9 of 17
rileydude
Valued Member

USAA has always been good to me as well, but they did notpull FICO 3 on my last two auto loans. In fact, we just purchased a second car last month ans they pulled Experian Auto8..same in 2019. In 2019 I was in Alaska and have been living in KY for the last three years..so it's not dependent on the region.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.