Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU recon or look elsewhere?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU recon or look elsewhere?

I recently joined NFCU so I don't have any account history with them. However, I applied for an auto loan - I just didn't read enough on the need for an established relationship. Several times the application was in pending and I'd call and they asked how I wanted to pay. I chose "pay myself" both times. Maybe I should've said "auto-pay". Regardless here are the stats below. Was it a stretch or is there a good reason to request a recon. If not,  where would be a logical next place to look?

Purchase price: $76000

Annual Income: $215k

DTI: ~6%
Requested amount: $89k (~$10k in negative equity on trade)

Term: 72 months

They pulled: TU not sure which one but my scores are FICO4 - 677, FICO8  - 699, FICO9 - 661

AAoA: 4yr 1 month

Other: 1 auto loan late exactly 24 months ago from when I traded for my current car and the dealer took forever to pay off previous loan. Disputes and letters couldn't get this removed. 

- Auto loan history is limited, this is only my second loan. The first one was only 2 months. So total 26 months total. 

6 REPLIES 6
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU recon or look elsewhere?

NFCU is known for being very generous, but they do like to build relationships first.  Most new accounts are approved for lower limits, it seems you went too big, too soon.  Open a card with them, and give it 3-6 months.  But you definitely made them skittish with the big loan request off the bat.

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. Thanks, I think I saw an offer. I'll open a card and maybe refi down the line. I'll have to go through the dealer for now. 

@rostrow416 wrote:

NFCU is known for being very generous, but they do like to build relationships first.  Most new accounts are approved for lower limits, it seems you went too big, too soon.  Open a card with them, and give it 3-6 months.  But you definitely made them skittish with the big loan request off the bat.

Message 3 of 7
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently joined NFCU so I don't have any account history with them. However, I applied for an auto loan - I just didn't read enough on the need for an established relationship. Several times the application was in pending and I'd call and they asked how I wanted to pay. I chose "pay myself" both times. Maybe I should've said "auto-pay". Regardless here are the stats below. Was it a stretch or is there a good reason to request a recon. If not,  where would be a logical next place to look?

They pulled: TU not sure which one but my scores are FICO4 - 677, FICO8  - 699, FICO9 - 661

Other: 1 auto loan late exactly 24 months ago from when I traded for my current car and the dealer took forever to pay off previous loan. Disputes and letters couldn't get this removed. 

- Auto loan history is limited, this is only my second loan. The first one was only 2 months. So total 26 months total. 

May I ask what vehicle you are looking at?  Looking to finance around the same amount next year with NFCU (maybe).  I have one source of income going to a checking account and a Visa with them for a couple of years now.  I heard they use EQ Auto 9.

Message 4 of 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That makes sense. Thanks, I think I saw an offer. I'll open a card and maybe refi down the line. I'll have to go through the dealer for now. 

@rostrow416 wrote:

@rostrow416   Has it right. I waited 5 months before apping for an auto loan, They were really easy to work with.

Just try to build a little history with them and skies the limit!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 5 of 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Gladius wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

May I ask what vehicle you are looking at?  Looking to finance around the same amount next year with NFCU (maybe).  I have one source of income going to a checking account and a Visa with them for a couple of years now.  I heard they use EQ Auto 9.

I thought they were gonna pull EQ 9 as well. For me it it turned out to be EQ 5! 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gladius wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BMW M5

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.