Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Auto Loan Criteria

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Auto Loan Criteria

FYI - I just received a message from Navy Fed regarding my question asking which version of FICO they used for auto loans.  Here is, verbatim, what they said.

"We do not use FICO, it is directly from your Transunion credit report. It is based on a full credit evaluation and a wide variety of factors of your ability to repay the loan, credit history, previous payment histories with other lenders, income, debt ratio, etc. We do not use any specific credit score, but rather review all the above items."

The only thing that is clear is that they currently use Transunion.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Auto Loan Criteria

I would imagine all FIs would say that.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 11
dunn2500
Established Contributor

Navys scores matched my TU/EQ auto F9 to within 1pt.....was pulled 3 times in last 2 years

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI - I just received a message from Navy Fed regarding my question asking which version of FICO they used for auto loans.  Here is, verbatim, what they said.

"We do not use FICO, it is directly from your Transunion credit report. It is based on a full credit evaluation and a wide variety of factors of your ability to repay the loan, credit history, previous payment histories with other lenders, income, debt ratio, etc. We do not use any specific credit score, but rather review all the above items."

The only thing that is clear is that they currently use Transunion.

When I applied back in April they used my TU FICO Risk Score Classic 98. Well, that's what was quoted on my denial letter anyway. 

Message 4 of 11
jchester

I find that facinating.. because my credit scores are UP & DOWN (in the low to mid 600's).  Seriously, like +20 and/or -20 -- all the time.  Anywho..  Navy Fed for the win.  Applied at USAA (denied, but they hold my va loan so...meh).  Navy Fed - applied and sending check in the mail for 32k.  What really blew my mind was the - "if you don't buy the vehicle, the loan converts to a personal loan.."

Message 5 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jchester wrote:

I find that facinating.. because my credit scores are UP & DOWN (in the low to mid 600's).  Seriously, like +20 and/or -20 -- all the time.  Anywho..  Navy Fed for the win.  Applied at USAA (denied, but they hold my va loan so...meh).  Navy Fed - applied and sending check in the mail for 32k.  What really blew my mind was the - "if you don't buy the vehicle, the loan converts to a personal loan.."

Congrats on the approval!  So if you don't buy a vehicle NFCU will just convert your loan a personal loan, at the same rate & terms ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 11
jchester

You're correct, rate will change, thus yeah - payment surely follows.

Message 7 of 11
7774x
Established Contributor

PenFed sends loan  draft for specfic vehicle..mind numbing to get  $38,000 check 

Message 8 of 11
rudywswartz

That is false, if you don't use the pre-approval check within a certain amount of days, the loan is void. They even make you return the check to a branch. 

Message 9 of 11
ldkcivilservant
Frequent Contributor

The verbage regarding the loan converting to a personal loan (at their highest APR) was given to me too, but only in the case where I did not submit the title to them.

NFCU Platinum $50k | Amex Delta Platinum $25k | Elan Financial $19.7k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $16k | Bank Americard $16k | Discover IT $13K | NFCU Flagship Rewards $10k | GS AppleCard $5.5k | Citi Simplicity $3k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.