cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a car! Need help with auto enhanced scores.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a car! Need help with auto enhanced scores.

I'm looking to buy a car very soon. I need basic transportation so I can find a job. I have $3k saved. I've been looking for a few months at ALL of my local dealers. I wanted to find something and just pay cash, but everything I've found would likely need major repairs. I figure I can afford a car payment up to $200 with current income, but wouldn't be able to drop several hundred at one time if repairs are needed.

have a repo from 7 years ago, the TL just dropped the derogatory status and comments. The only thing showing on my CR is the name of OC, date, and initial loan balance.

Current scores from myFico are: EQ 671 TU 622 EX 649
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Re: Need a car! Need help with auto enhanced scores.

My cut off for used cars is $5k, really anything below $3K almost shouldn't be on the road and if your from a part of the country where it snows and they put salt on the roads especially.

Repos newer than 24 months will stil get you a car loan, it will just be a high interest rate. But since it's more than two years old, most auto lenders don't care about it anymore.

With your scores and EQ being the highest I would give DCU a try for pre-approval.

With your EX score, you might wanna try whatever CU in your area that uses Experian.

SDFCU pulls EX exclusively and has good rates and contacts out to 72 months.

Capital One pulls both TU and EX in most cases, sometimes all three. Your EQ score is Prime however, so DCU should give you a very attractive rate.

Now depending on what you want, and depending what rate they give you, it may be to your advantage to take captive lender financing. Nissan is doing 0.9% on many of it's cars and trucks. Ford is doing 0% for up to 72 months and you only need 680 to get it, but they pull EX typically.

If $200 is all you can afford with $3K down, you are looking at something around $14,500. That is either a decent CPO Corolla or something like a Ford Fiesta.

You can also try Car Max if there's one in your area.

In fact if you can pinch a few more pennies the new 2015 Honda Fit is a very nice car and reliable for about $16-17K.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.