Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a car and would appreciate some advice

tag
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a car and would appreciate some advice

Roadloans (Santander's consumer facing application) pairs up well with Carmax. You'll pay whatever Carmax's price is for the car, but your APR WILL be high (probably 20%+ with Roadloans). In general Santander and Roadloans will finance any brand. If you buy at a Chrysler, yes, Chrysler Capital is also essentially Roadloans.

I also recommend giving Cap One first. And try to stay away from buy here pay here...I think we can get you approved with SOME lender.

Message 11 of 27
jed11

I'm out of town this week and haven't had time to get back to this.  Thanks for all the info!  Question... if I apply with Cap One and they turn me down, will that negatively effect my credit score?

Message 12 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yes, it will hurt a little due to the inquiry. But the hit from an inquiry is not THAT big. At worst, we're talking 5 FICO points, and often even fewer than that.

Message 13 of 27
jed11

So, would it be better to try all three of the ones mentioned here?  Or stop if I get turned down the first time?  I read somewhere that multiple requests for the same loan are treated as one event.  Is this true?

Message 14 of 27
IWOL
Established Contributor

If you are able to put a large down payment on the car purchase you can probably still get a fairly low rate.

I was able to get a loan from Wells Fargo Dealer Services at 7% with a 580 Fico at the time. The purchase price of teh car with tax and license was $42,000 and I put down $10,000.

Santeneder and Cap 1 offered me rates of 12.9% and 16% on the same loan.

Message 15 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

With a 575?

I don't recommend DCU. I doubt they'd approve. Honestly roadloans will approve most likely but at a high apr. I'd try cap one first, see what they come back with before applying elsewhere.

IWOL is right though, if you have a large down payment, the dealer will ultimately get you the best rate (negotiate the rate, using dp as leverage). But still you ought to apply by yourself a little (not a LOT of places) first. But don't apply to Wells by yourself. The one you can apply to and the one dealers can apply to are VERY different. Your one is VERY strict, the dealers one is pretty lax.

Message 16 of 27
jed11

Ok, so apply to Cap One first and then Santander / Roadloans second if Cap One turns me down.  I'll likely do this tomorrow or Monday.

Message 17 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

That's what I would do

Message 18 of 27
jed11

I just applied with Cap One online and got approved for more than I need and no down payment with a 16.28 rate.  They require some documentation that I'll have to fax to them when I'm back home tomorrow.  

I'm wondering now, can I call and negotiate with them for a lower rate with a down payment or do I get what the computer offers and that's it?  

Any next steps I should know?

Message 19 of 27
Remember0
Valued Contributor

They don't negotiate. How much car and how much down payment are we talking about here?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.