cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a car loan but have a ton of questions!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need a car loan but have a ton of questions!

Well, to start I have awful credit.  660 Ex 631 Eq 585 TU...just had them pulled by mortgage broker.  I have a ton of charge offs from 2005 (layoff and death in family).  I've got 3 smaller car loans on my current report for about $15,000 each (all paid) then 1 have one large one for $36,000+.  I purchased it in 2003 and then in 2005 when I got laid off, I immediately called and told them that I wanted to voluntarily surrender the car.  They came out within a week and picked it up (and miraculously) sold the Lexus SUV for what was owed on it.  About 2 months later I got a letter stating they tacked on a cleaning charge of about $350 to the price of the car and that is the amount still owed to this day for my car.  I was so mad I just let the amount sit on my credit with the other charge off's and now I'd like to get a new vehicle but I'm afraid what this voluntary surrender has done to my "car credit".

I would like to trade in a 2006 Toyota Avalon that my father has let me use for the last few years but it will have about $4000 in negative equity probably.  It's the least I can do since I've been driving it.  My mother died at 59 years old and he doesn't drive this car.  I can put down about $7-$8K on the car (some covering the negative equity) but does anyone know what I should do first to get a decent rate?  I won't do a rate that is over 8% or so...I know me...I will just drive the Avalon, although I don't want to.

Here's my information:  I've been at my current job 4-1/2 years, make $70,000/year, don't pay rent or anything else (I take care of my father), so my dti ratio is practically nothing...My company pays for my Blackberry, I do pay $95 per month for insurance on the Avalon and I have a ton of those tiny CL credit cards (sub rate) and I usually keep the balances paid off.

I could have my father co-sign if that is acceptable, and I can't get anyone to approve me by myself.  His FICO is close to 800.  

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on my current situation?  Especially the voluntary surrender part???

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need a car loan but have a ton of questions!

you MIGHT be able to get approved because of your money down but you are not going to see 8%.

If he doesn't mind co-signing then I would say that is the route to go to get your good rate 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a car loan but have a ton of questions!

I don't think I can even apply for the vehicle right now because the trade in vehicle is one that has the Toyota recall.  The value has just dropped and I don't know that I want to take the hit for that right this second...I'm not real happy right now!

But thank you for your comments!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a car loan but have a ton of questions! UPDATE!

Well....I did everything WRONG!  I'm sure most of you that read the forums will cringe...I wanted a $30K luxury SUV and Capital One only approved me for on $22,000 with a $2000 down payment for 18% for 72 months...so I decided to go looking at anyone and EVERYONE that looked like they did pre-approvals and now 23 HARD INQUIRIES LATER....(I know, I know, I know) I've probably scarrred my credit report for the whole 2 years that these suckers stay on the report!

After 3 days of telling all dealers who would listen to look into their lenders, I did have 6 approvals....some up to $30K (which is what I wanted) but at pretty awful interest rates.  I decided not to get a co-signer.  I wanted to get it on my own so that the credit report shows it as an individual account instead of joint or has a co-signer.  I also didn't want anyone to have any say in the vehicle, ever.

I didn't trade in the Avalon because it's on the recall list.  

In the end...wouldn't you know it...I got Ford Motor Credit to finance the Certified 2008 Lincoln MKX for $30K at 11% interest.  How that Finance Manager did that I have no clue...but I'm not even upset!  I'll take it!!!!!  They also included the best warranty they had 7 year/100,000.

The key is to throw yourself on the mercy of the Credit Manager...they have friends!!!!  

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need a car loan but have a ton of questions! UPDATE!

Wow congrats!

the inq should be viewed as one if done within 48 hours of eachother 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.