Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a dedicated Equifax 8 or 9 puller, a few lates from 2018 on last auto loan

tag
uscgamecock
Valued Member

Need a dedicated Equifax 8 or 9 puller, a few lates from 2018 on last auto loan

I have a new Ford truck ordered and will need an auto loan soon. About $25k for 72mo. I'll be putting down 20% between trade and cash.

Equifax Auto score 8 = 753 (TU 726 EX695)

Equifax Auto score 9 = 746 (TU714 EX709)

Auto scores 5, 4 & 2 are all in the high 600's.

I have 4 months of 30 day lates from 2018 showing on all 3 when I was going through a rough patch.

I am an establisted member of both NFCU & Penfed and have high limit credit cards with both. 

From reading here, I'm guessing Penfed would be my best bet. What will they think of the lates from my last car loan? Any others I should consider? Should I let the Ford dealer have a precious hard inquiry?

When do the quarterly offers start appearing again on Penfed's online banking? (1st of October?) At one time, I had a Car loan pre-approval for $40k on there.

I am pre-approved through Capital One, but I know their interest rate will be sub-prime.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Pic for attention:

maverick-elana-1-1623167005.jpeg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dunn2500
Established Contributor

Re: Need a dedicated Equifax 8 or 9 puller, a few lates from 2018 on last auto loan

pen fed is EQ F9.....it is the exact reason i used them

Message 2 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Need a dedicated Equifax 8 or 9 puller, a few lates from 2018 on last auto loan

Because of the lates, I'd lean more towards Navy. Penfed's UWs have been a bit nitpicky lately. 

If you could secure the loan with a instant approval through Navy's computers, rather than having eyes on your CRs. You may squeak through with a better rate. But there are no guarantees. 

Sometimes Capital gives competitive rates, so I wouldn't rule them out either.

Message 3 of 11
jcooks
Established Contributor

I agree that Capital One shouldn't be ruled out.  Both my GF and I were both pre-approved for a used car at 2.69% APR.  Of course she went with hers, I just did the research on cars/dealers using my pre-approvals.  What kind of rates are you getting with Cap One?

Message 4 of 11
uscgamecock
Valued Member

I did the soft pull pre-qualify with Capital One. I just looked back at my emails and the pdf they sent me to print out and take to dealers. It says pre-approved up to $50k, but no interest rate is mentioned. Do they pull hards on all 3 for auto like they do credit cards? I kind of dismissed them since they hate me for credit cards.

Message 5 of 11
jcooks
Established Contributor

You have to use the cap one navigator.  Pick a vehicle, set your down payment, and select how long of a term and it should give you a specific APR.

Message 6 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I’m not sure what PenFed’s current underwriting criteria is but if it means anything to you, they approve me several times for an auto loan during my BK13 and post discharge. In my experience, they are very easy to work with…especially with auto loans.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that the new Maverick? I am thinking about getting one too. I hear it is only offered in hybrid. It looks like a good car for me to haul things, no not dead bodies LOL I know that one is coming LOL

Let us know how you like it once you get it.

I would let the dealer run a HP as well you will only get hit with on HP no matter who else runs your report for a new car within a 30 day period.  Dealers can sometimes work in your favor, sometimes not.

Thanks

Mark

Message 8 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that the new Maverick? I am thinking about getting one too. I hear it is only offered in hybrid. It looks like a good car for me to haul things, no not dead bodies LOL I know that one is coming LOL

Let us know how you like it once you get it.

I would let the dealer run a HP as well you will only get hit with on HP no matter who else runs your report for a new car within a 30 day period.  Dealers can sometimes work in your favor, sometimes not.

Thanks

Mark

@Anonymous 

False on getting hit with one Inq.

It depends on how it's coded.

Credit Unions are all over the place.

Chances are each pull will be coded different.

I have one of those Mavericks on order as well. You can also get it with the 2.0 turbo, which is the way I pre-ordered mine.. No telling when it will be built, as Ford is 100,000 orders under water for this little truck.😂

Needed something to haul small items and yard supplies, that wouldn't fit in a car or small SUV.

Also the fuel economy should be great on both models.

Message 9 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Gmood1 Is right.  Inquiries will depend on how they're coded.  If you're going to allow the dealership to seek financing on your behalf then be prepared for several inquiries as that's just how they go about business.  If inquiries are of importance then the dealership may not be the best way to go.  

As for the Mavrick, I haven't been following details of this truck very much but interest to see how Ford stacks it against the Ranger.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.