Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on Buying a Car

tag
golby260
Valued Member

Need advice on Buying a Car

Not sure where this post belongs, so sorry if it's in the wrong place. :/

The last time I posted here, it was about the collection agency CACH who were trying to sue me.  Last December, I managed to pay off their $5K+ debt, and now, they've been out of my life for months. Smiley Happy  My score's slowly risen from 610 Equifax back in September 2012 to 640 as of last month, and from 581 to 634 Transunion in the same time span.

I really want to buy a car.  I've saved up $3000 from February, and I just want to buy something not very expensive (<$2000).  I still live with my mother, I'm still working as a temp worker for the post office, (I got a position that pretty much let me get extended for another year, provided I pass the probationary period which ends in August) and I don't want to pay a car note, and it was enough of a struggle just getting to $3000.  I don't really want to hold out for $5000 or more like my family wants me to, especially since I want to buy myself a new computer next and repair some things in my room, and what if I'm not kept past August?  There are things I need and want to be able to do on my own without having to beg my mother to borrow her car.  I've been using it to get to work and back, but it's things like not being able to take myself to the store without asking first, choosing my own doctor (I really need to see one, although I have no insurance -- no, the job has no benefits) without Mom butting in, and just being able to go out anywhere else without having to time it as not an off-night (Mom gets the car in the mornings I had my nights-off) or a day where I'll have to rush back to town to pick Mom up from the bus stop that make me tired of having to borrow someone else's car all the time.

I've been looking at cheap gas sippers like the Tercel, but everyone keeps telling me I can "do better," or save up for a more expensive car, when I don't know what's going to happen with this job, and I'll need my own way around, regardless.  I can pay for insurance for six months and registering the car in Georgia won't cost much, too.

Basically, should I bother getting a car? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Need advice on Buying a Car

I'm not sure where you live but in some places a car is almost a mandatory item. As far as buying one for $2k you are going to probably get a high mileage car and possibly someone elses problem. When it comes to cars you really do get what you pay for.

If you feel you need a car them by all means buy one, I would suggest saving up as much as possible first though.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Need advice on Buying a Car

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.