Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CC before/after auto loan?

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

New CC before/after auto loan?

If I can make up my darn mind on what make/model/year, I will be getting a car soon. Are auto loans just as sensitive to new credit as mortgages? I only have two open revolvers right now and I am looking to add one or two more soon. I'm thinking of the US Bank REI card (to get 5% back on REI purchases) and the US Air Barclays card, to get in on miles that will eventually transfer to my AA account.  If I go for the cards now, will it hurt my chances for auto loan or negatively effect rates I can qualify for?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: New CC before/after auto loan?

@bahbahd wrote:

If I can make up my darn mind on what make/model/year, I will be getting a car soon. Are auto loans just as sensitive to new credit as mortgages? I only have two open revolvers right now and I am looking to add one or two more soon. I'm thinking of the US Bank REI card (to get 5% back on REI purchases) and the US Air Barclays card, to get in on miles that will eventually transfer to my AA account.  If I go for the cards now, will it hurt my chances for auto loan or negatively effect rates I can qualify for?

Nope.   In general it is much easier to get approved for an auto loan than for a mortgage.   However be aware of the overall effects of new credit on your FICO score, such as lower AAoA, inquiries, etc...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.