Did you mean: 

New Car Shopping

tag
SupaWmn41
Valued Member

New Car Shopping

Update! 

I was denied by NFCU for an auto loan. My score with then was 702. DP's: 

- Serious Deliquency, (Capital one, 4 lates 2014,2015)

- Ratio of Revolving Balances to credit limits are you high - I did come out the garden on a intro APR from Discover to buy much needed furniture. $5K, Limit is $8K) Also a Apple installment loan I just paid off today $650

- Length of time accounts have been established - Credit History shows 6 years but my new cards are only a year old)

- Number of accounts with delinquency(1) Capital one as mentioned above. 

I opened a goodwill credit case with Capital One Executive office but haven't heard anything back yet. How long do they usually take? 
I have been preapproved with Capital One for $50k. I'm scared to try another credit union or use my Bank(BoA) to apply. Anyone have luck with BoA for car loans? 

P.S . Don't judge but I paid my car off in 2014, never thought about the title. I call Capital One and they never released the lien! I know I know I should have thought about it but that is crazy so now I have to wait two weeks before I can sell my old car I was going to try to go with Carmax to sell it and not the dealer but I'm not sure. 

Hello! 

Sadly I have to put my 2008 Nissan Altima out to pasture. So bummed because I liked my reliable car and I loathe car payments. 
I just called a few dealerships and asked questions listed in the Fico Auto Enhancing post and man they were perfect! Love this forum so much. They sounded so shifty on the phone even stuttering because of the way I asked questions like man this person has done her homework. I am so not ready to deal with them when I go in there. Smh 

But now I have to do more homework around financing. I don't belong to a credit union but I'm changing that today when I open a Navy Federal account. I know it won't help me now. 
My auto enhanced scores aren't great but not bad either. My 8 is 674 to 681 across all 3, My 9 is 704 - 705 across all 3. 5,4 & 2 are 700 - 717. 
I want a Lexus, NX, RX or Toyota Highlander not sure which model. I'm also toying with the idea of leasing for a lower car payment and I'd like to be able to choose another car in a few years. I just don't want to put money down on a lease I've learned on here that is a no go. 

Lastly I just called Capital One Executive office because I have (3) 90 Day lates from 11/2015, 1/2016 that are holding me back a little. That's the only thing on my credit report nothing else. I know they are going to fall off soon but if I can hurry that up I would like to do that. She said no at first but then she submitted the request and gave me a case number. I'm just going to pray at this point. but based on my scores do you think I have a shot at a good rate? 

6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: New Car Shopping

LFS/TFS will pull all 3 FICO 8s along with CoreLogic and will use the highest score. I had around 680 with 7 late payments and chargeoffs. I got 4.99% on a certified pre-owned. NFCU offered me that for new and 7.99% for used.

Message 2 of 7
SupaWmn41
Valued Member

That's actually awesome! High hopes for sure. Can I apply online at TFS/LFS

or is it better to go into the dealership with more options?
Also Can I apply for a Auto loan with NFCU this early after membership? 

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

LFS/TFS will pull all 3 FICO 8s along with CoreLogic and will use the highest score. I had around 680 with 7 late payments and chargeoffs. I got 4.99% on a certified pre-owned. NFCU offered me that for new and 7.99% for used.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leases are generally more now than they were pre-covid.

Many credit unions use your 5-4-2 scores which is good for you.

DCU uses Equifax mortgage, Visions Federal CU uses Experian Mortgage.

Those 5-4-2 scores will get you one of their best rates if not the best.

For leasing search what score they use and be prepared.

I bet you get tier 1 or maybe tier 2 rates from the manufacturer.  When I was tier 2 with Audi it cost me $20 a month over tier 1 - not a huge deal on a lease.

You can probably finance with Navy.  I know you can join DCU and finance a car and get a credit card all on the same hard pull EQ Mortgage.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@SupaWmn41 wrote:

That's actually awesome! High hopes for sure. Can I apply online at TFS/LFS

or is it better to go into the dealership with more options?
Also Can I apply for a Auto loan with NFCU this early after membership? 

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I wouldn't because they'll pull it at the dealer. You can apply with NFCU immediately.

Message 5 of 7
dunn2500
Established Contributor

i opened a navy acct and applied for auto loan next day and was approved....i was around 665 at the time 7.8% for 84 months

Message 6 of 7
SupaWmn41
Valued Member

See! That's why I applied. I heard so many of those outcomes. I think it's my utilization and those lates on Capital one from 6-7 years ago. My income is not an issue.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.