cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining financing with average credit, is it possible?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obtaining financing with average credit, is it possible?

Hi there! I am debating on whether or not to purchase a new car this year or this time next year since my car is about ready to need to be replaced!

My current credit score is 679. I have $1,000 saved away for a down payment, and the current trade-in value for my car is $8,000 minimum. I am hoping by this time next year my credit score will be around 700. By this time next year I will have $2,000 (or potentially more if needed) saved away for a down payment, and the trade-in value of my car will be $6,000 minimum. The cars I am looking at purchasing are $16,000 - $19,000. 

Do I have a chance of obtaining financing through my bank or the car dealership either this year or next? I have never purchased a car before (mine was given to me by my parents years ago), and I don't want to buy a new car if the financing will be terrible! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Obtaining financing with average credit, is it possible?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there! I am debating on whether or not to purchase a new car this year or this time next year since my car is about ready to need to be replaced!

My current credit score is 679. I have $1,000 saved away for a down payment, and the current trade-in value for my car is $8,000 minimum. I am hoping by this time next year my credit score will be around 700. By this time next year I will have $2,000 (or potentially more if needed) saved away for a down payment, and the trade-in value of my car will be $6,000 minimum. The cars I am looking at purchasing are $16,000 - $19,000. 

Do I have a chance of obtaining financing through my bank or the car dealership either this year or next? I have never purchased a car before (mine was given to me by my parents years ago), and I don't want to buy a new car if the financing will be terrible! 

It's totally possible, but your current car has a lot of life left in it if it's worth a minimum of $6k. Look up Dave Ramsey Drive Free Cars and watch the video. I wish I'd known about it at your age before I started a 15 year cycle of wasting money on car payments.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.