Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTI help..

tag
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

PTI help..

Currently my auto loan is $34k ish. When I got it I put 5k down because they said no one wanted to approve me without a down payment because of payment to income. I've had the loan for 2 months. I would like to refinance as soon as possible. My EQ score has improved significantly within the two months. 

My question is when I apply at places the denials say proportion or loan to balances are too high. I'm assuming that means PTI may be an issue too? My income is $3700 monthly. My Dti is honestly not too high either. Being realistic what are ways to fix this problem? I can't increase the income. Would I need to pay a lump sum into the loan to be able to get refinanced?

besides pen fed and dcu who pulls exclusively equifax for auto loans?? 

3 REPLIES 3
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

Re: PTI help..

@Newbie2018 wrote:

Currently my auto loan is $34k ish. When I got it I put 5k down because they said no one wanted to approve me without a down payment because of payment to income. I've had the loan for 2 months. I would like to refinance as soon as possible. My EQ score has improved significantly within the two months. 

My question is when I apply at places the denials say proportion or loan to balances are too high. I'm assuming that means PTI may be an issue too? My income is $3700 monthly. My Dti is honestly not too high either. Being realistic what are ways to fix this problem? I can't increase the income. Would I need to pay a lump sum into the loan to be able to get refinanced?

besides pen fed and dcu who pulls exclusively equifax for auto loans?? 

That means you owe too much in relation to the original loan amount. They want to see you pay on that loan first before picking it up.

Message 2 of 4
Newbie2018
Frequent Contributor

I see. So how many months worth of payments exactly? Or is it just depending on the new lender?

Message 3 of 4
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Newbie2018 wrote:

I see. So how many months worth of payments exactly? Or is it just depending on the new lender?

Your best bet is to pay down 20% of the loan, leaving you with 80% owed.  I know that may seem like a lot for a new loan, though that threshold is the first you would hit under normal payments that would improve your score and put you in a better light

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.