Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off loan now dealership wants money

tag
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Paid off loan now dealership wants money

Oh, and if you bought GAP insurance at the time of sale and REALLY want to make F&I guy ill, call the dealership and request a refund for the unused portion of the policy.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 11 of 16
way2evil
New Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

It sounds like Chase may have pulled back F&I's buydown and now the dealer is trying to scam you into making it up for them. I would demand an itemized accounting of what they say you owe them, and why. Until then, they are blowing smoke up your rear IMO.

Any pullback on a buydown is between the dealership and Chase. It doesn't involve you, and can't involve you. Chase told them to go screw themselves and now they're trying to flim-flam you into making up their loss.

I'd even go so far as to say that I suspect the F&I guy is doing this on his own. Call or go buy and ask to speak to the principal, and explain what is happening to him. Also contact the manufacturer if this is a franchise dealership. This will go away very quickly, and if F&I is doing this on his own. he'll be on the street.

Please do not speak unless you know what you are saying.

What happened here has nothing to do with a buydown. A dealership has the option to add points to your loan through Chase (normally 2 points). Chase will give the dealer a rate of say 5% and the dealer can then contract at 7% and Chase will pay 70% of that added interest to the dealer. If the customer pays the loan off before a certain amount of time, the dealer will be charged back that money.

Also, you cannot cancel GAP insurance. If you do have some sort of GAP policy that you are allowed to cancel, and you do choose to cancel it, may god help you.

Message 12 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@way2evil wrote:

@Elcid89 wrote:

It sounds like Chase may have pulled back F&I's buydown and now the dealer is trying to scam you into making it up for them. I would demand an itemized accounting of what they say you owe them, and why. Until then, they are blowing smoke up your rear IMO.

Any pullback on a buydown is between the dealership and Chase. It doesn't involve you, and can't involve you. Chase told them to go screw themselves and now they're trying to flim-flam you into making up their loss.

I'd even go so far as to say that I suspect the F&I guy is doing this on his own. Call or go buy and ask to speak to the principal, and explain what is happening to him. Also contact the manufacturer if this is a franchise dealership. This will go away very quickly, and if F&I is doing this on his own. he'll be on the street.

Please do not speak unless you know what you are saying.

What happened here has nothing to do with a buydown. A dealership has the option to add points to your loan through Chase (normally 2 points). Chase will give the dealer a rate of say 5% and the dealer can then contract at 7% and Chase will pay 70% of that added interest to the dealer. If the customer pays the loan off before a certain amount of time, the dealer will be charged back that money.

Also, you cannot cancel GAP insurance. If you do have some sort of GAP policy that you are allowed to cancel, and you do choose to cancel it, may god help you.

I'm just curious, why do you say the last sentence in your post?

The OP just paid off his vehicle so he has no loan on it, why would the GAP policy help him at this point?

Message 13 of 16
way2evil
New Contributor

I'm sure you know what GAP is for and what it does. For many people, GAP could be the difference between getting out of a loan clean versus owing thousands of dollars for a vehicle that no longer exists. As long as you were charged a reasonable price for the product (NY only allows a markup of $10 on GAP), then there is no reason to cancel the policy. The cost of GAP is anywhere from $150-250.

Message 14 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@way2evil wrote:

I'm sure you know what GAP is for and what it does. For many people, GAP could be the difference between getting out of a loan clean versus owing thousands of dollars for a vehicle that no longer exists. As long as you were charged a reasonable price for the product (NY only allows a markup of $10 on GAP), then there is no reason to cancel the policy. The cost of GAP is anywhere from $150-250.

Thank you for answering. I never purchased GAP because here in Fl it is extremely expensive - usually the dealership wants to tack on a huge fee for GAP $1000-$2000, so for me it wasn't ever worth the expense. We clearly don't have the price restrictions for the GAP policy you have in NY. (I did have a time where I could have used it though: car totaled and I had to pay the difference of about $6K between what the insurance paid out and the remaining balance of the loan. I paid it and learned to put down larger down payments and finance over shorter periods of time...lol)  

OP, sorry for the thread jack

Message 15 of 16
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

This is a very interesting topic. Thank you all for your opinions and imput, they'll surely help someone out there.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.