Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past Auto Loan Default.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Past Auto Loan Default.

To the FICO experts or anyone who've worked in auto financing, I have a few big questions, as I'm about to finance a new vehicle:
1. Does your current auto payments have more or less effect compare to past negative payments? I've had my current auto loan since Sept.2015 and NEVER LATE. However, I have had a CO on an auto loan last registered March 2018; I was a co-signer on that CO. How does that affect my current chances of getting approved for a new auto loan. Myfico is showing all but one auto-enhance score well north of 640. EQ: 670 TU:688 EXP. 609 (lol). My income: PTI10250 per month.
THANKS.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Past Auto Loan Default.

You can certainly get approved with those scores... you may not get the best rate, but you can certainly get an approval.

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I'll try in April.
Message 3 of 7
DIYcredit
Frequent Contributor

The charge off will count as recent serious derogatory plus their is probably late/ missed payments on the auto loan account.When you apply for a new auto loan they will use an auto enhanced credit score that may not be a Fico score.Which means any negative information on a past auto loan account will count more within their credit score model  and will affect your credit score more than say if applied as an example for a credit card. They will use a credit card enhanced credit score model,I hope this helps. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So even though it shows as a CO, it was paid and showing"current" on my credit. I hope that helps.
Message 5 of 7
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

I have a couple of 30-day late payments on a Toyota Financial loan back in 2014 and 2012. I'm sure this caused my FICO Auto-enhanced scores to drop, but not my much. As with other derogatories, they have less and less impact on scores as they age. And this certainly didn't affect my ability to get approved for the best rates this winter. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ridge.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.