Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Auto Loan recon?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

PenFed Auto Loan recon?

I recently applied for a PenFed auto loan, but was turned down. The thing is though, I recently joined in the last 3 months, so I'm pretty sure they used the same credit report they did a month ago when I joined. Since I joined PenFed, I've paid off all of my credit cards and went from 35%+ util to less than 5%.

Would it be possible to call and ask them to pull my credit report again and reconsider me? What number would I call? I'm aware that it would most likely be another HP, but I'm okay with that, if it means I can get a loan for 1.99% (Absurdly low rate, I don't even know the next closest lender to that %). Has anyone had any luck reconing an auto loan? I know a PenFed credit card denial is almost impossible to recon, not sure about loans.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed Auto Loan recon?

It may be worth a try, however I do not know. I was approved as a member, then three months later I applied and qualified for an auto loan with them. There was no additional hard or soft pull when the car loan was approved. They may want income verification.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It's definitely worth a try, let me know how it works out and what their denial reason was if it doesn't please... Penfed is one of the lenders I'm looking at refinancing my own auto loan with in another month or two.

        
Message 3 of 13
stevehbold
Valued Member

I just applied for a auto loan too on Friday morning but it said referred to loan officer. I haven't heard back from them yet. Does that mean an approval pending verification or just has to be reviewed? I'm quite anxious with my truck dying last week , I need a new vehicle
USAA Amex 0/4000 USAA MC 0/4000k
Barclays apple 0/2000- recon'd from 1300 to 2k
Discover More 250/1700cl Capital One 0/500cl Amazon Store 0/600 Orchard 0/320 Paypal Smart Connect 0/300 Amex zync 500 auto pay
Ex 699 7/12 CU pull -auto loan beacon 5
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 4 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@stevehbold wrote:
I just applied for a auto loan too on Friday morning but it said referred to loan officer. I haven't heard back from them yet. Does that mean an approval pending verification or just has to be reviewed? I'm quite anxious with my truck dying last week , I need a new vehicle

Could be either, the "care to explain THIS on your credit report?" conversation, and probably something simple to like send us your last two paychecks so we can verify income.  Almost certainly the second, might also be the first.

        
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think all of there loan officers are on vacation!!

I applied for a CC last Sunday and I'm still waiting to hear back from them?

I shot them an email today though!

Message 6 of 13
stevehbold
Valued Member

I'm sure I'll have some explaining to do ,lol.
Discover More 250/1700cl Capital One 0/500cl Amazon Store 0/600 Orchard 0/320 Paypal Smart Connect 0/300 Amex zync 500 auto pay
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 7 of 13
stevehbold
Valued Member

I was denied for pyramiding debt, whatever that means. I was approved from my local cu tho. Tier B
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@stevehbold wrote:
I was denied for pyramiding debt, whatever that means. I was approved from my local cu tho. Tier B

Not certain I understand that with your credit profile, though Penfed is sort of notorious for using this as an excuse compared to other lenders.  In general it means using further borrowed funds to pay your existing debts (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) or Penfed in particular has been known for using it as "you have enough available credit already" compared to income or some other measurement too.

Oh well there's other lenders as you found out Smiley Wink.

        
Message 9 of 13
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@NewSurrender wrote:

I recently applied for a PenFed auto loan, but was turned down. The thing is though, I recently joined in the last 3 months, so I'm pretty sure they used the same credit report they did a month ago when I joined. Since I joined PenFed, I've paid off all of my credit cards and went from 35%+ util to less than 5%.

Would it be possible to call and ask them to pull my credit report again and reconsider me? What number would I call? I'm aware that it would most likely be another HP, but I'm okay with that, if it means I can get a loan for 1.99% (Absurdly low rate, I don't even know the next closest lender to that %). Has anyone had any luck reconing an auto loan? I know a PenFed credit card denial is almost impossible to recon, not sure about loans.

I do remember asking PenFed about their car loans when I joined a couple of years ago. They told me that they generally like to see 2-3 years of perfect payment history (current auto loan) before giving you the green light. If you think you have a strong enough payment history and sounds like you have a your util% under control, you should definately try to recon.

I just applied for a PenFed auto loan myself... (15% utilization)

I thought it was worth seeing what I can get since I just asked for a CLI on their card and they already pulled my credit. I asked for $45,000 and was instantly approved for a loan at 1.99% for 60 months. The loan officer looked at the system approval today and confirmed. Didn't know that someone still had to look at it before you can start shopping...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.