Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive Equity Auto Trade-In For A New Lease

tag
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

Positive Equity Auto Trade-In For A New Lease

This may be a first for me next year and wanted to see if anyone here can provide some clarification.  When leasing a new vehicle, how does it work when you have a trade-in with positive equity?  Do they take the equity and apply it to the monthly payment?  As in say you have $5000 equity and a $600/month lease payment on a 36 month lease, they divide that $5000 into 36 months and subtract it from the monthly payment for it to come out as $462/month.  Or do they apply it to the whatever the 36 month balance would be?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Positive Equity Auto Trade-In For A New Lease

They use it to reduce the capitalized cost. I have had equity going into a new lease but just had them cut me a check for the equity.

Message 2 of 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Gladius wrote:

This may be a first for me next year and wanted to see if anyone here can provide some clarification.  When leasing a new vehicle, how does it work when you have a trade-in with positive equity?  Do they take the equity and apply it to the monthly payment?  As in say you have $5000 equity and a $600/month lease payment on a 36 month lease, they divide that $5000 into 36 months and subtract it from the monthly payment for it to come out as $462/month.  Or do they apply it to the whatever the 36 month balance would be?

Usually applied as cap cost reduction like the other poster stated, which is your first scenario above.  I would also ask for a check back or better yet, sell the car prior to going in. Try to only put TT&L down on a lease, cap cost reduction is wasted money should the car ever get totalled. GL

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 5
Gladius
Frequent Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

They use it to reduce the capitalized cost. I have had equity going into a new lease but just had them cut me a check for the equity.

Yes.  I was also thinking of that possibility.  I will be taking my car to either CarMax or Carvana to see how much they will give me so I will have an idea of what my equity is.

Message 4 of 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Gladius wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

Yes.  I was also thinking of that possibility.  I will be taking my car to either CarMax or Carvana to see how much they will give me so I will have an idea of what my equity is.

I had a CarMax offer in hand and my Infiniti dealer offered to match it for convenience (and profit obviously)

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.