Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Descrimination with Auto Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible Descrimination with Auto Loan

Hello,

I was at a auto dealership today, had me there probably a little over 30 mins... Seemed like everything was going ok when the sales rep comes back and says the company by the name of Santander Consumer USA that handles auto loans HAS A FRAUD ALERT on me... He says a manager gave him the number to give to me to call in the morning to removed the FRAUD ALERT... I don't know, but it seems like every dealership I go to it feels like I'm getting screwed over because I'm a veteran of the armed forces of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...

I put retired on the application, is that not good enough or something? Sad how many people out there in today's society don't give diddly squat about veterans... No wonder why veterans do horrible things when they return home. I'm not sure if this is discrimination, or is it something they don't like about me... I'm trying to do a auto loan, finance that is... the car I have no has AUTO START/STOP featrure with the engine and it's very bad for me because I have forget many times to turn on the button... Part of why I'm disabled is I forget a lot of things. Why did Jeep come up with a dangerous feature? Horrible! And yet I contact Jeep about this, and all they say is CONTACT the dealership you got it from and see what they can do. I'm surprised the original sales representative didn't tell me about this feature in the first place, if he did, I would'nt have gotten the car. I feel like returning the car, even though I'm pretty sure they won't be able to work with but DIIIIING my score when it's completely returned. Anyone else have the same experience with Santander or an auto dealership in the past? Please, kind replies! Thanks.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Possible Descrimination with Auto Loan

Also, the sales rep showed me 3 monthly payments on a sheet of paper when I was there today... I guess those were possible monthly payments based on credit score. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign. And why would Santander have a fraud alert? I thought only the 3 bureaus can have alerts. I also removed them many weeks ago. Ugh, what a crazy and stupid world we live in.

Message 2 of 25
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP,

First, thank you for your service ! Smiley Happy

Next.. the car salesman obviously didn't know what he was talking about, and more than likely got things confused. Santander did not have a fraud alert on your reports, they probably called him and told him you had a fraud alert, and he confused the two.

If you have a fraud alert, Im not surprised that he wants to talk to you. If you have a FA on your reports, and you apply for credit, car whatever, you'll be declined at first, OR they will say they need to talk to you. This is standard. They need to verify its really you, and ask you verification questions, like address, SSN etc.

Don't sweat it..just call the guy. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I’ve never felt treated any better or worse as a veteran at a dealership. Have you had any previous relationships with Santander or Sovereign Bank in the past? Are you confident that all fraud alerts have been taken off of all three major credit reporting agencies?

As for the list of monthly payments, most dealerships do that so they can figure out how much you’re willing to pay and which loan they can get you into that gives them the biggest kickback. Always negotiate on the price of the car, never the payment. Once the price is negotiated you can work on getting the lowest APR, not the lowest payment.
Message 4 of 25
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston, we literally posted at the same time.. LOLSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

No relationships with Santander. Pretty sure I have talked to TU and Equifax on the phone about the fraud alerts and had them removed months ago. Experian, I did not place a fruad alert with.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Sales rep told me to call Santander, give them my social security and have them remove the fraud alert. Sales rep also gave me the number to Santander. I called Sales rep back and he mentions in the conversation that if there's a fraud alert I cannot purchase a car. I already know that. Question that comes up now is whether or not TU and Equifax already have the fraud alerts off.

Message 7 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you still have the number for Santander, I would call back and ask them which credit bureau they used so that you know which one to check, and possibly follow through with. With a fraud alert, you should still be able to open an account after verifying your identity, though.
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, that makes sense...

I checked TU website, no fraud. Equifax says this: Once your fraud or active duty alert is placed on your Equifax credit report, we’ll forward your request to the other two nationwide credit bureaus, Experian and TransUnion. You don’t need to contact them separately. I did have an Equifax fraud alert with TU, got them both removed, but it might be Experian still has one on me... Not sure if I can call Experian to check if they have a FA on me... I do know to get it removed with Experian I have to mail a request in which is pretty strange.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess the sales rep is right I have to call Santander and verify identity with social security number, etc. to POSSIBLY open an account with POSSIBLE approved credit.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.