cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preapproval rescinded thru Cap1/Auto navigator???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Preapproval rescinded thru Cap1/Auto navigator???

Hi -- we just got preapproved for a cheapo used car (a 2014 under$12K) through the above mentioned channels. But if I sign in now and click "view" on that pre-approval, I get a notice that they were not able to pre-approve us at this time??!! Weren't we already? Why on earth would that change?
My score is 819 and hubby's is 809. I did go thru 'joint application' but he's the breadwinner and I'm home with a kid, so my "other" employment status with no income maybe did it??? We are also not putting much down, but jeez, the cars we are looking at are all under $13K. Going forward (since I am the one managing this) was it the joint application that did it? Ought this be a single application? I'm the one with the 819 score, so I'd sort of like that to be in there. Kinda don't get it cuz we've done this for other things (like home refinancing) because we want both our names on the loan, but maybe this is different? Since they won't say why over the phone, it'd be nice to know since we are looking to move on this, well, NOW. 
TY!

5 REPLIES 5
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Re: Preapproval rescinded thru Cap1/Auto navigator???

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi -- we just got preapproved for a cheapo used car (a 2014 under$12K) through the above mentioned channels. But if I sign in now and click "view" on that pre-approval, I get a notice that they were not able to pre-approve us at this time??!! Weren't we already? Why on earth would that change?
My score is 819 and hubby's is 809. I did go thru 'joint application' but he's the breadwinner and I'm home with a kid, so my "other" employment status with no income maybe did it??? We are also not putting much down, but jeez, the cars we are looking at are all under $13K. Going forward (since I am the one managing this) was it the joint application that did it? Ought this be a single application? I'm the one with the 819 score, so I'd sort of like that to be in there. Kinda don't get it cuz we've done this for other things (like home refinancing) because we want both our names on the loan, but maybe this is different? Since they won't say why over the phone, it'd be nice to know since we are looking to move on this, well, NOW. 
TY!

Personally with those scores I would go through a local CU probably would get lowest rates. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's certainly a plan, but I hate getting a hard pull...

Message 3 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

If/when you go through Cap-1 and go from "preapproval" to "approval" they'll hard pull you anyway. 

In addition with your scores you can go anywhere you want, local bank - credit union - major bank like BoA, WF or Chase or through captive financing such as GM Financial, Ford, Toyota, etc. I've also found that Cap-1 rarely has the best rates for card loans compared to say DCU. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat.. Paid off my truck thru cap 1... They were lowest Apr at dealership... Got a letter thanking me for my business and looking forward to working with me again to get rejected due to "too many inquiries" I have spotless payment history and paid off 2 years early... When u go to dealership you will get financing and they will fight for lowest rate.. Main thing is getting a good dependable ride... Look into hertz car rentals at their cars... We are getting 2017 Hyundai sonata with 30k miles for $13k... You can get great deals for former rental cars.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t use capital one. They are kicking it due to collateral. Let me know if you still need help
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.