Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price of Used Cars

tag
barca
Regular Contributor

Price of Used Cars

The price of used cars have gone up considerably

I am thinking of selling my used car - the quoted values from carmax, Vroom etc have gone up very well.

Does anyone think this inflated price for used car is temporary or permanent.

I am trying to just sell one of my used cars now or wait.

My fear is maybe the used car market will come down, and the value of my used car which is hot now, might revert back to normal values.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Price of Used Cars

What goes up, must come down.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Once inventory starts to right size itself the price of used vehicles will start to go down...and in a hurry. My advice is, if you're going to sell...do it now because no one knows when things will turn.
Message 3 of 28
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Loquat wrote:
Once inventory starts to right size itself the price of used vehicles will start to go down...and in a hurry. My advice is, if you're going to sell...do it now because no one knows when things will turn.

Agreed; my 2006 Acura TL with the relatively rare 6-Speed Manual option has gone up to crazy levels of pricing for a 15 year old car with 175,000 miles on it, and even those stupid high prices aren't enough to entice me to sell.  Why?  My wife and I joke we've never learned how to drive cars with automatic transmissions, so how many nice 4-door sports sedans with plenty of power and comfort are able to be had new these days?  Answer: ZERO.

Message 4 of 28
barca
Regular Contributor

You guys are right.

things will likely be back to normal in the fall

Especially when the federal unemployment benefits ends in the fall and pandemic almost over

I will go ahead and sell it this month,.

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Agreed; my 2006 Acura TL with the relatively rare 6-Speed Manual option has gone up to crazy levels of pricing for a 15 year old car with 175,000 miles on it, and even those stupid high prices aren't enough to entice me to sell.  Why?  My wife and I joke we've never learned how to drive cars with automatic transmissions, so how many nice 4-door sports sedans with plenty of power and comfort are able to be had new these days?  Answer: ZERO.

If you have deep pockets: BMW M3. If you are open to a non-luxury brand that still has a nice interior and ride: VW Jetta GLI w/Autobahn package. The TL is a super nice car, so I wouldn't blame you at all for keeping it. Buuuut, if you want to scratch that new car itch there are a couple of options. It is really sad there are so few manual options these days...

Message 6 of 28
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

If you have deep pockets: BMW M3. If you are open to a non-luxury brand that still has a nice interior and ride: VW Jetta GLI w/Autobahn package. The TL is a super nice car, so I wouldn't blame you at all for keeping it. Buuuut, if you want to scratch that new car itch there are a couple of options. It is really sad there are so few manual options these days...

LOL, I can swing an M3, but with a proboscis only a mother could love, that thing ain't going to darken the threshold to my garage.  Smiley Tongue

At this point, I'm inclined to either get a 2022 Golf R next year and hand my TL down to my son, or keep the TL as my daily driver and pop for a new Caymen S, both with three pedals under the dash.  

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

LOL, I can swing an M3, but with a proboscis only a mother could love, that thing ain't going to darken the threshold to my garage.  Smiley Tongue

At this point, I'm inclined to either get a 2022 Golf R next year and hand my TL down to my son, or keep the TL as my daily driver and pop for a new Caymen S, both with three pedals under the dash.  

Very true, I should have mentioned that you must look at the M3 with your eyes closed or from the interior only... Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

Very true, I should have mentioned that you must look at the M3 with your eyes closed or from the interior only... Smiley LOL

They haven't re-done the front of the M8 yet, so you can always go that route instead. It's a bit large, but still a decent-looking car

Message 9 of 28
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

They haven't re-done the front of the M8 yet, so you can always go that route instead. It's a bit large, but still a decent-looking car

The M8 is more car than I want both from a size and price perspective, and maybe I missed it, but I didn't know the M8 could be had with three pedals under the dash.  No matter how nice, I literally have no desire to drive a car, any car, with an autotragic transmission.  Smiley Tongue

Quite honestly, if the M5 was still available with a manual transmission, that would be the sweet spot.  Speaking of M5s, I recently saw a cherry E28 M5 which really caught my eye, it only had like 36,000 miles on it and was practically showroom clean.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.