cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private party auto lenders that don't require proof of income?

tag
JoshSF

Private party auto lenders that don't require proof of income?

Hello,

I have an opportunity to buy a car for much less than it's worth (private sale), but I have an issue with getting a loan. I am self-employed and for certain reasons have not filed recent tax returns so I can't prove my income that way. My credit is good, but my credit union said they wouldn't accept bank statements as proof of income. 

Any specific lenders anyone here can recommend that I could look into? 

7/17: EX 750, TU 741, EQ 716
AAoA = 12.7yrs (Exp), 13.6 years (TU/Eq)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
sonicchris8
Regular Contributor

Re: Private party auto lenders that don't require proof of income?

I refinanced my truck with Navy no POI. My brother refinanced his car with Navy no POI. My dad got a car loan with Navy no POI. I also got a loan from Penfed no POI. No ones scores are as good as yours either. Maybe this will help

Starting scores: 538 EQ, 552 TU, 520 EX Current scores (11/18/20): 640 EQ 638 TU 654 EX
Message 2 of 10
JoshSF

Was the Penfed loan for a private sale?

What I'm finding is that there's a difference between an auto loan for a sale that goes through a dealer vs a private party... many lenders don't even offer the latter. 

Message 3 of 10
sonicchris8
Regular Contributor

Penfed gave me a check and I took it to the dealer. I could have done a private party or anything. Didn't do any kind of financing or apps or anything with the dealer. Was a small internet dealer. They never even contacted Penfed and Penfed didn't contact them.

Starting scores: 538 EQ, 552 TU, 520 EX Current scores (11/18/20): 640 EQ 638 TU 654 EX
Message 4 of 10
JoshSF

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know for a fact PenFed and Alliant CU don't ask for proof of income.
Message 6 of 10
Jackal24

Penfed asked me for POI (2 most recent paystubs) just last week. I was looking for a loan of 70k though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those of you saying PenFed hasn't asked for POI, how much we're you asking for?
Message 8 of 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I know for a fact PenFed and Alliant CU don't ask for proof of income.

This isn't always true.  There are many folks who have posted with PenFed asking for POI.  I believe your overall credit profile and stated income may be a determining factor as to if you're required to provide POI.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also don't think PenFed will ask for income soley based off the amount you are requesting to finance. A lender will determine the necessity to require POI based on credit score, credit history, PTI/DTI... If you are borderline on PTI/DTI a lender may request POI to ensure you in fact fall below the maxium's. I have seen POI required on loan's as low as $5,000 and I have seen loan's as high at 75k without POI required. Simply depends on numerous factor's..

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.