Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about my car loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about my car loan

Does this mean by paying off my loan faster than the stated length, that the total amount paid is reduced as well? From my loan providers faq:

1. How is my payment divided between principal and finance charges?
In accordance with applicable law. If there is no applicable law, payments are applied first to finance charges and then to other amounts owed, including late charges, principal, and other fees.

Remember, as the principal balance is reduced, the daily per diem also decreases. So, as long as the principal balance is reduced with each payment, the amount of finance charges that accrue daily decreases too. That's why the amount of finance charges paid at the beginning of a contract is higher than the amount paid at the end.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about my car loan

As long as you have a simple interest loan which almost are all...

The more you pay each month, the less you will pay total since the interest is calculated on the balance not the original loan amount.

The more you pay in the beginning of the loan the less you will pay total (compound interest).

example:  If you doubled your car payment every month, your car would be paid off in much less than 1/2 the time.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. Does faq info I posted read like a simple terms loan? I think it is, but just wasn't sure.

Message 3 of 5
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Yes, the FAQs sound exactly like a simple interest loan.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you for the info.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.