Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about strange score issue related to Carvana financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about strange score issue related to Carvana financing

I've been looking at a couple of vehicles from the Carvana auto group. I already have financing lined up thru my CU but decided to apply for their in-house financing just to see if they could beat the rate. Well, I was approved but at a not-so-great rate of ~6%. Before I applied with them (last Wednesday) I pulled up MyFico to check my scores. My Experian score was 737 while Auto 2 was 705, Auto 8 was 720, & Auto 9 was 748. Of all my different Experian scores listed they ranged from a low of 705 to a high of 753. However, this morning I got an email from Carvana with a link to the "Your credit score and the price you pay for credit" letter. Download that and it shows that they did pull from Experian as expected but it shows a score of 679. Just wondering if there's any way to find out which score they used to come up with that and why it's 26 to 74 points lower than any score showing on MyFico.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question about strange score issue related to Carvana financing

It sounds like their own score to me.

I looked up Carvana because I'm not familiar with it at all. I see that they were founded in 2013 by the same people that own DriveTime - so that helps to explain the idea behind their scoring IMO. DriveTime has made money using the subprime auto sales model. This is just an online version of the DriveTime model. 

One of the highest profit centers for a dealership is the financing aspect. If their scores show a lower score (due to their algorium) they can charge you a higher interest rate and make more money.  Simplistic explanation, but it is what they are doing.

If I were you, with your scores, I would go elsewhere and not use their financing (nor buy their vehicles)  at all.  JMO.

Message 2 of 3
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Re: Question about strange score issue related to Carvana financing

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been looking at a couple of vehicles from the Carvana auto group. I already have financing lined up thru my CU but decided to apply for their in-house financing just to see if they could beat the rate. Well, I was approved but at a not-so-great rate of ~6%. Before I applied with them (last Wednesday) I pulled up MyFico to check my scores. My Experian score was 737 while Auto 2 was 705, Auto 8 was 720, & Auto 9 was 748. Of all my different Experian scores listed they ranged from a low of 705 to a high of 753. However, this morning I got an email from Carvana with a link to the "Your credit score and the price you pay for credit" letter. Download that and it shows that they did pull from Experian as expected but it shows a score of 679. Just wondering if there's any way to find out which score they used to come up with that and why it's 26 to 74 points lower than any score showing on MyFico.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

They use Vantage scoring EX that why the scores were so low compared to your fico scores my Vantage scores are nearly a 100 points lower than my fico scores.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.