cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R dealerships required to ask for SS# even if hav own financing from credit union??

tag
mommy55

R dealerships required to ask for SS# even if hav own financing from credit union??

I was approved for an auto loan for from nfcu. I already have my paperwork and draft check from them. Im going to dealership to look at cars and scared they will ask for SS# and run my credit. 
Are they required to ask for your SS# even if you have your own financing???? i keep hearing about some patriot act law.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: R dealerships required to ask for SS# even if hav own financing from credit union??

Congrats on your approval. They will only ask for ss if you let them talk you into filling out a app for there financing. Just refuse since you have arranged your own financing unless you are looking to see if they can bet the rate you have with your approval.

Message 2 of 11
mommy55

Re: R dealerships required to ask for SS# even if hav own financing from credit union??

Thank you !. i hope so.

Message 3 of 11
Elcid89
Contributor

In your case, since you don't seem to have specified a specific vehicle you intend to purchase, NFCU might have to consider final approval based on the actual car you decide that you want.

Beyond that, no, the dealership has no reason to request your SSN.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 4 of 11
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

The manufacturer that I work with, if the customer has their own financing, they require an identity check, not a credit check, but for that we do need SSN. It does not impact your credit. They just want to make sure that the customer is legit.

Message 5 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

Never had to give a dealer my SS#, and I always walk in the door with CU financing.  If they get your social, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts they will pull your reports.  YMMV,, but just sayin...., unless I had it in writing. 

Message 6 of 11
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: R dealerships required to ask **bleep**

You can thank the Patriot Act.

Message 7 of 11
guydiver
Established Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

You can thank the Patriot Act.

Yeah, you can vote, but don't try to buy a car!

Message 8 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

There were a lot of posts about this a while back.  I can't say I remember the details exactly, but if I recall, the Patrior Act does require some sort of identity verification.  And a dealer can choose to do that by pulling a credit report.  They don't have to, but if that is their policy for how they go about it, I'm not sure what you can do.  So that is why you might be getting some conflicting answers.  Some people may have gone to dealers that do the identity verification another way.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Nfcu auto buying program Smiley Happy I gave my ss# to my dealership for the overseas delivery program. We are using nfcu for the loan.... they didn't pull our credit.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.