cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to purchase a new car, then *BAM*, a weird medical collection hits. hELP!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ready to purchase a new car, then *BAM*, a weird medical collection hits. hELP!!

Credit score is currently 658, we have one credit card that we pay off each month, and would like another open form of credit so we decided to sell our paid off vehicle (which needed a lot of work) and purchase OR lease one. Income is $109,000 and other than the credit card, we have no debt.
In an effort to raise our utilization and therefore our score so we can buy a house next year, we sold my wife’s car and started searching for something around $20k, with a good down payment. We are also open to a lease, as we tend to not keep our cars for longer than a few years. The night before we headed out to wheel and deal, BAM- we get an alert that a $600 medical bill from our son’s allergist visit several months earlier was added onto our report into collections. It knocked my score down to a 598!!!!
We immediately called the doctor directly, who said “nothing we can do, the insurance never paid their portion”. So we disputed it.
Now we’re without a vehicle. What are our options in the short term while we try and sort this out?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Re: Ready to purchase a new car, then *BAM*, a weird medical collection hits. hELP!!

They must have been dunning you for the medical bill for several months, or is this  the first time that you heard about it?  The first thing I would do is find out why your insurance company refused to pay the doctor's bill.  With my insurance it is illegal for the doctor to bill me if my health insurance disallows a procedure.  The doctor has to absorb the fee.

Message 2 of 8
Indianaguy
Valued Member

Re: Ready to purchase a new car, then *BAM*, a weird medical collection hits. hELP!!

Did it report to all 3 bureaus? Like one said get ahold of your insurance and see what happened and sometimes they are easy to work with - with a small bill like that i would go through your credit union or bank and talk to them instead of going through a dealership for a purchase - Unless your going to lease then your score will be fine with the due at signing , whatever dealership your thinking about go an talk to them about the leasing programs they have and see what bureau they pull and the requirements , you will be surprised . Good Luck

Current fico score 2018 TU762 EQ755 EX760 >
NFCU Cash Rewards18k-NFCU Platinum 18k- Discover 2kcli 9000>13500 - Chase I Freedom 5k- Citi Cash 5k-Burgdorf Goodman 7k-VS5k-True Value Discover3k-Firestone 5k-Carecredit 7k>18k-Amazon9k-Walmart10k-2 Car loans-2 Mortgages- 2 Home Improvement Loan
1 SUV Charge-off that's paid that I co-signed for falls off 7/2016

Buying my second GT-R in 2018
Update approved 2018 BCE SL2700 cli to 9000 and Chase freedom unlimited 6800 SL
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The doctor’s office said they’d been sending it, but we sold our house and moved last summer to Silicon Valley for five months for a contract job and when we came back we rented. It’s been since October that we’ve been back and our mail is still all over the place. There’s absolutely NO way had I seen a threat to send such a minute amount to collections that I wouldve ignored it. Insurance company said the bill was submitted before all of our deductible payments had gone through so we owe the money. The day we went for our son’s allergy testing we had records showing we had met our out of pocket amount of $4800, but the insurance said they hadn’t all been accounted for yet.
I have no problem paying it but I just can’t believe something so stupid seemed to come out of nowhere and that it knocked my score down so much. Paying it off won’t remove it, so it’s there for a good 7 years. I’m so bummed.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This popped up on Credit Karma, so I’ll pull up all three today and check. I know auto scoring is completely different so I’m hoping it won’t affect our score so much. We completed a chapter 12 just over a year ago and are working our butts off to get our score to a minimum 780 by next fall so we can buy a house again.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, since you sold your wife’s car can you pay cash for another one? Maybe $5,000 or even a $3,000 Car would get her from point A to B. Also, if you’re looking to buy a house, im not sure if buying a new car is the best choice right now. The car payment will be added into monthly debt which will reduce the amount of home you can buy. Home loan companies also don’t want people applying for credit within a year of buying a home so I would maybe hold off on getting a car loan right now. Just my two cents...
Message 6 of 8
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Don't pay yet! Try a PFD with the doctor. I'm sure he would rather have the cash! Expecially if you explain the situation with wanting to buy a car and house. Sounds like an honest mistake! 

Message 7 of 8
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

This has happened to me before and trust me I feel your pain. What I would do and have done when this happened is call the bill collector and ask for a pay for delete then hash it out with the insurance. If your in a time crunch and want to get it removed more quickly this *could* work
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.