Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent experience at VW

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent experience at VW

I wanted to share my experience at a VW dealer and get your opinion.  I first went to my local CU to get an auto loan.  My interest rate would have been between 11-15%.  I decided to wait and pull up my scores, but my Dad graciously offered to co-sign with me.  Got a rate of 4.7. 

Went to the dealer, and found my car.  There was a whole ordeal about the price I was quoted online of 19,500.  They said the guy didn't work there anymore...which only two days had passed since I received the price quote online.  I left the dealer and told them to call me when they figured things out.  Got a call 30 min. later saying they would honor the price.

Here's the kicker....the VW finance dept. offered me a 4.3 rate.  I asked how I qualified for this, and they said it was because I only financed 13,500.  To me, this is crazy!  My highest score is 620 with Transunion.  Other scores are 591 and 580.  If my CU wouldn't fince me at decent rate, why would the dealer?  Were they going to make more money if I financed through them?

Long story short.....finally bought my first car after months of research.  I do not like the car buying experience at all...all the test driving and haggling....not for me.  Hope this car will last for years to come!! 

Oh, if you are reading this and have any advice on a Jetta, I'd greatly appreciate it!!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Recent experience at VW

So you put 6k down? Then on top of that they financed you alone, or with your dad still?
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I loved my '00 Jetta VR6. Jetta's are great to drive and have a great interior finish for the price. That said - keep the maintenance up to date for sure. My car started slowly dying on my in Year 5. I got rid of it just before her 7th birthday. I recommend you have as much fun in it as you can and then get a new card in 5 years.

I'm in a Honda Civic now....I miss my old Jetta now but I like knowing that odds are I can drive this car for a long time without major problems.
Message 3 of 8
sonogirl
Regular Contributor

Hi could you tell me if VW pulled just TU or all three? I'm looking to lease a jetta next month. Thanks and Congrats on your new jetta  I've heard only great things about them!! Smiley Happy
09/11 TU 599 EQ 601
Message 4 of 8
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

My only advice on Jettas is...   get ready for tons of unexpected maintainance.  From my personal experience and that of friends, they aren't very reliable cars.  Noisy sons of....   too

Hopefully your experience will be better as my GFs jetta probably had 4 previous owners.  It's a 2000 model I believe.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

schoolbuskid,

With taxes, title, and tag, I put down about 7800.  I financed 13,500.  Since the difference was a few dollars a month, I just went ahead and financed through my bank, like orginally planned. 

I just thought it was odd for the dealer to offer me 4.3, when my bank said b/w 11-14 with my scores.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sonogirl,

Thanks!  I'm pretty excited.  I've heard I just need to keep the maintance up.  They pulled all three.  Good luck, I don't know much about scores and such....but with your scores...I think you will be ok.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not trying to scare you but I had a 2005 Jetta and it was the biggest piece of junk ever. If not for warranty it would have been over $5000.00 in repairs. Then in the 3 months I had it when it was out of repair it was another $1200.00 in repairs. Also it was extremely loud all the time. The alternator belt squealed all the time despite multiple fixes with the belt tensioner. also it never got anything near what the sticker said for MPG. I was lucky if I got 18 MPG. I just sold my car privately and ate nearly $4000 in negative equity just to be rid of it. If I were you I would consider a different manufacturer. There is alot of problems with VW in general(do a search, one web sight is myvwlemon.com ; and the VW just doesn't care. Multiple letters to executive offices complaining about issues and the only thing I ever got back was a form letter saying something like "thanks for your concerns and we use this info to make improvements....blah blah blah. Please accept this $25.00 gift card to VW online store as our appreciation. Smiley Sad Anyway, I just placed an order yesterday for 2008 Mini Cooper. Good luck and if you do go with VW be sure to keep all receipts and document everything with the car. Best of luck!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.