Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations after auto-loan rejection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recommendations after auto-loan rejection

Hi There,

Hoping someone can help my out here.  First time financing a car and I think my local bank contact may have steered me in the wrong direction so just need some feedback. My info is below and I'll try to keep the backstory quick.

Walked into my local bank last week to see the rate I could get, was told best route was a check-ready loan up to $50k.  I told the bank I didn't need $50k but was curious if I financed more than planned what my rate/payment might be. They told me go ahead and apply assuming the max and then could always end up financing less, applied, got all my income verification info together, and then got an email over the weekend saying I was denied and I'd receive a letter in the mail this week explaining why.

My assumption is it is becuase the 50k was way too much, and I never should've listened to the bank associate who recommended I apply for the full amount...But now I'm a bit worried -- what if I can't get the 35-40k I really would like to be at? And can I just go back to my bank and apply for a lower amount? Or should I shop around given the rejection?

Credit Score: 695-727

AAoA: Not sure average but oldest is 9+ years

# of positive trade lines: 10 Open accounts? not sure what this means.

# of negative trade lines: No deliquencies/derogatory reports

Income: 77k

Lenght of Employment: 4+ years

Previous Loan Experience: None for Auto (mortgage/Student Loan/revolving credit)

Debt-to-Income (DTI): 26% 

Year of Car: 2015

Miles: 0

Purchase/Refinance: $65k

Requested loan term (XX Months): 72m

Down payment amount: $25-30k

Co-borrower/Co-Signer:

Other:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Recommendations after auto-loan rejection

I think you should wait until you receive the denial letter. Or you can call the banker or their auto finance department and see if they are willing to let you know verbally. Reassure them you just want to know why you were not approved and that you're not upset. Reason why I say this is because lots of bankers hesitate to deliver the denial message because some customers don't take it well.

I'm thinking its because you don't have any auto loan history. Some banks don't approve you for over a certain amount no matter how good your credit is if you have never had an auto loan there before. Some banks say you have to have borrowed at least half of the amount you are applying for now. So for example, you applied for $50K, bank A might say we want to see you've borrowed at least $25K. Now this is only a guess at your denial reason, from the information you have provided me everything else looks good. But we will be able to tell more when you get that letter or call to find out.

You can try other lenders, but it would be helpful to know the bank was unable to approve you.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank for the thoughts and all makes sense.  Still haven't received the notice from my bank so will give them a call and see if they area willing to explain via phone. Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

You're welcome. Let me know what you find out when you call.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok...just got off the phone with the bank and they confirmed I was denied because of no previous car loan history or any recurring payments (or something to that effect). Guess you were right!

So does my mortgage not count, or it's considered a different type of loan I guess?

I have a call later today with a relative of a friend who is an underwriter for a regional bank, terms aren't as good as what I applied for with the big national bank that rejected me (66mths vs. 72; and 4.4% vs. 2.3), but any other thoughts? At least figure I can talk to her and see if they'd ever approve me.

Haven't applied at the dealership as I was hoping to have an approval before going to them to negotiate, but maybe that's my best bet at this point?

Message 5 of 14
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok...just got off the phone with the bank and they confirmed I was denied because of no previous car loan history or any recurring payments (or something to that effect). Guess you were right!

So does my mortgage not count, or it's considered a different type of loan I guess?

I have a call later today with a relative of a friend who is an underwriter for a regional bank, terms aren't as good as what I applied for with the big national bank that rejected me (66mths vs. 72; and 4.4% vs. 2.3), but any other thoughts? At least figure I can talk to her and see if they'd ever approve me.

Haven't applied at the dealership as I was hoping to have an approval before going to them to negotiate, but maybe that's my best bet at this point?

Yeah, that's what I figured it might be. To answer your question, yes its considered a different type of loan, no your mortgage doesn't count (at least to that lender, and probably most with this credit guideline). Silly though because mortgages are way higher amounts.

Other thoughts: You could find out what the maximum amount is that the bank will approve you for without previous experience, but its usually very low $15-20K so it might not be worth finding out unless you're willing to down that much money. You can reach out to other lenders and find out their credit guidelines regarding first time auto loan applicants.

Your best bet is likely with the dealership. As they are 'indirect' financing and have more lenient guidelines. To clarify, when you applied with the major bank, you applied through their 'direct' auto finance department (with more stringent guidelines). Its very possible that you apply at the dealership, they submit your application through the same bank, but it goes to their 'indirect' auto finance department and approve you for the original requested amount.

If you go to the dealership without financing, just bluff. "I have secured financing at a great rate that I will not disclose, but will give you an opportunity to give me your best rate". They will see your high credit scores, and hopefully wont try to add a margin on the rate. I think you'll be okay.

Message 6 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would think you could get much better rate and terms DIRECT at the dealership since you are looking to buy brand new... they specialize with the amount because they sell the car!

What are you looking to buy?

Message 7 of 14
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would think you could get much better rate and terms DIRECT at the dealership since you are looking to buy brand new... they specialize with the amount because they sell the car!

im wondering the same thing. Thats a heck of a DP the OP has but thats still a heck of a loan amount with only 77k income. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 8 of 14
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

im wondering the same thing. Thats a heck of a DP the OP has but thats still a heck of a loan amount with only 77k income. 

+2 on that.  OP, your downpayment amount is great, obviously, but I always shake my head at people who are spending nearly their annual gross salary on a car.  I just don't see the logic in it, to be honest.  I love cars, and I love driving, but I don't see a $65K vehicle as a necessity or enough of a priority to put that much spend towards one.  Obviously opinions differ widely n that, though.

A couple questions - first, if you can actually afford the vehicle, why drag your loan out over *72* months?  An obvious arguement against that is that interest rates tend to be higher for the longer term loans, plus you barely make any headway with principal doing it that way.

Second, is the bank aware of the fact that you would be putting down a substantial amount?  To me, this is something that applying after you have the car and amount determined could potentially help with.  When a lender looks at an outlay of $50k, they may be thinking 100% finance (or close to it).  Having them aware of the fact that you plan to put down ~40% or so may help with your application.  This may be something the dealership has better luck with, as others have said - the banks they work with will be seeing the selling price and also downpayment.

Message 9 of 14
EddieK
Established Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

While I'd agree if he/she were looking to finance the entire 65K, OP states that they're planning to put down 25-30K, which makes the loan amount 35-40K.  Very reasonable in that aspect.  

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.