Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinanced a fresh DCU loan to NFCU

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Refinanced a fresh DCU loan to NFCU

I contacted DCU to be pre-approved for an auto loan when I was car shopping last month.The amount was $28,391 at 6.99%. I went with 84 months to give myself some coushin but planned on paying extra towards principle so I'd only have it for 60 months. I made my first payment two weeks ago. $428.30 plus an extra $150 towards principle.  I've been wanting to become a NFCU member for awhile. I gave it a try a few days ago and was approved. I took a checking and savings account and was also approved for one of their credit cards.  I started looking at their auto loan rates last night. A 72 month loan is at 4.79%  I ran some numbers and found that I'd save $3621.14 by going with that one if I didn't pay anything extra. At that point I knew it would be worth the hard pull.

I gave NFCU a call this morning. I was on the phone with them for less than 15 minutes. That included the rep contacting DCU for a 10 day payoff amount. The loan was approved. My new monthly payment is $449.28 ($20.98 more than the other one). I'll save over $3500 with one year off the length of the loan. The check was overnighted to me this afternoon. I'll have it by 10:30AM Monday morning. That is FAST SERVICE!!! 

I can't say enough good things about NFCU.  They have been great to work with. Someone reached out to me the day after my membership was approved. He asked me if I needed anything then gave me his direct line incase I needed to speak with him (he was off today).  Very friendly, very helpful and very fast service.

Looking at DCU's rates, they have a 72 month loan for 5.24% so NFCU is .45% lower. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Refinanced a fresh DCU loan to NFCU

Congrats, though Penfed usually beats them both in new auto loan rates.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/new-auto-loans
Message 2 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Glad you got the refinance. Every little bit helps!!
Message 3 of 4
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:
Congrats, though Penfed usually beats them both in new auto loan rates.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/new-auto-loans

Ahhh... why did you show me that! Smiley Happy  I'm also a member of PenFed. I can't believe I didn't look to them as another option when I decided to do this. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.