Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Options with previous Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing Options with previous Bankruptcy

I had my Chapter7 discharged November 2017 but I didn't really started focusing on rebuilding until November 2019. I purchased a used car August of last year thru Santander at a staggering 19% APR. I had to bite the bullet because I was about to start work and I needed it to get to work.

What are some banks that would accept situations like me? I wish I can get into NFCU but I just don't have any military ties. I have tried with CreditUnion1 for financing when I was shopping for a car but they turned me down. I also tried CapOne Auto online for a pre-approval to refinance but I also got turned down. 

What are my options here?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: Refinancing Options with previous Bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

I had my Chapter7 discharged November 2017 but I didn't really started focusing on rebuilding until November 2019. I purchased a used car August of last year thru Santander at a staggering 19% APR. I had to bite the bullet because I was about to start work and I needed it to get to work.

What are some banks that would accept situations like me? I wish I can get into NFCU but I just don't have any military ties. I have tried with CreditUnion1 for financing when I was shopping for a car but they turned me down. I also tried CapOne Auto online for a pre-approval to refinance but I also got turned down. 

What are my options here?

You probably won't want to hear this, but I'd imagine your best option at this point is patience.  Banks aren't really prone to charity, and there's no magic formula for getting to a point of credit worthiness other than hard work, discipline, and time.  Also, you're not giving us any information to go on.  What are your existing scores and credit mix?  Any late payments after BK?  Your scores as of 11/19 are very low for being discharged for two years, so I'm guessing there are issues even after your BK.  Has your rebuild improved your scores?

Your rebuild is in its infant stages, and it will take time before you're seen as a good credit risk.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Thanks for taking time to respond! I appreciate it.

Honestly, post-BK I didn't really care about my credit so I didn't take rebuilding seriously then. The only problems I had are regarding the utilization and the inquiries (from the car shopping back in August). I have never had any late payments even pre-BK. 

Also, i'm waiting for the next round of updates on my scores before I purchase the subscription from myFico. Reason being I recently paid-off a bunch of my credit cards. Also, I submitted a bunch of disputes last night regarding some accounts I IIB in my report that are not showing up as "Closed". So I'd like to wait for all these to settle before I try to see my current scores.

I'm really beginning to take my rebuild seriously from this point so I really appreciate every piece of learning I can get from this site. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

And sorry I forgot to say, I'm actually okay with waiting. I just want to make sure there is still a possibility of getting out of the high APR loan I got. I also made myself a member of a credit union around my area and i'm trying to build a relationship with them. Hopefully by the time I'm confident with my scores, they'll be able to let me refinance with them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.