Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing my auto loan

tag
cknight2404
New Visitor

Refinancing my auto loan

I have an auto loan from February 2013 with a 12.5% interest rate.  I have been making extra payments on it to pay the principal down & want to refinance to get a lower interest rate.  Currently my fico score is 634.  Is it a good time to refinance or should I wait until my score increases?  Also what bank should I refinance with?  Could I get a lower interest rate than 12.5%?

Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

Re: Refinancing my auto loan

Making the extra payments is very smart because at that interest rate, you may be upside down on your loan. 

Before you refinance, make sure your loan amount is less than the value of the car. So that the LTV isn't a factor when you go to refinance.

You may want to wait a little while longer, unless your score has significantly improved since febuary when you obtained the loan.

When you do attempt to refinance, go with a CU so that they will consider your short payment history on the current loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.