Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing my car after buying a home

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Refinancing my car after buying a home

I am closing on my house next Friday and have been holding off on refinancing my car until now.  I have heard that the act of buying a home can jump your score up and I'm wondering if I should refinance the car now, or wait a few months until my loan reports.

I currently have exp 712, eq 700, TU: 660.  So I could use the pop to get the very best refi rate.  I have a car that I bought on a 6 year plan ( Smiley Sad ) for $707 a month and am about 3 years into the loan, I've been seeing mailers claiming to give refinance me for about $500~

Should I wait a little longer or go ahead and refi right after I get into the house?

Thanks!

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinancing my car after buying a home

You won't see a score effect for a couple of months, depending on how fast or slow your lender reports.  When I closed my mortgage did not report for about 3 months.  I refinanced my wife's car right after we closed.

Message 2 of 6
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

So do you think there's any benefit to waiting for a few months for the credit bump or is a 700~ reasonable enough to refi now?

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 3 of 6
sccredit
Valued Contributor

700 should be enough right now.  I was like 695 when I refid my wifes with our local credit union at 2.7%

Message 4 of 6
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Awesome.  Thanks for the info!  I confess I don't really know how car loans pull credit.  I roughly know how cards work and houses.  My fico is actually higher than my fako scores. 

Experian fako is 677, fico is 711. 

Eq fico is 700, fako is 695

TU is 641-670

Does a car pull all three, like a home loan or just a particular one, and is it "auto enhanced" ? (whatever that means)

Message 5 of 6
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Depends on the creditor.  I have never had a CU pull more than one bureau, or pull an Auto Enhanced score.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.